The Best and Worst Films of 2009

Every year around this time, give or take a few days, I compile my list of the best, worst, most memorable and most disappointing films to be released locally during the previous 365 days. Now obviously I don't get to see everything, and there are likely to be some important omissions from the list as a result of that. Still, I managed to squeeze in 35 cinema visits this year, and you can see the end of this post for the full list of films - with links to individual reviews.


For the record I consider myself to be a rather "ordinary" cinemagoer in that my tastes are pretty conventional and unpretentious. Although I've probably become more demanding in terms of my movie entertainment, I'm still more likely to be watching the latest much-hyped Hollywood blockbuster than seeking out an obscure festival circuit charmer.

But I digress...

2009 seemed to be an OK year at the movies. Not much more. There were very few faultless films for the entire world to fall in love with. This isn't to say though that there weren't still several bright flashes in the murky ocean of mediocrity. The animation genre in particular had a very strong year, with much critical acclaim being lavished on Up, Coraline, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and - yet to be released in South Africa - Fantastic Mr Fox and The Princess and the Frog.


On the whole, movies in 2009 seemed more content to bombard the audience with flashy visuals and moments of coolness than actually attempting to say something of value. Soul was sacrificed to retread the same trite story turf time and time again. As a result, my list of the best movies of the year, as well as their runner-up cousins, "The Most Memorable Films of 2009," was strongly influenced by the degree to which the films A) provoked some form of powerful emotional response in me, B) demonstrated seriously impressive creative ambition, and C) entertained on the whole.

The following films are listed in each category in no particular order:

Best films of 2009


My Gran Torino review here.



My Up review here.



My Watchmen review here.


Most memorable films of 2009
It was unintentional but I ended up with a nice spread of genres when it came time to consider the other films that impressed in 2009.


My District 9 review here.



My Avatar review here.



My Coraline review here.



My Hangover review here.



My Antichrist review here.


Worst and most disappointing films of 2009


My Terminator Salvation review here.



My Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince review here.



My Inglourious Basterds review here.


The following receives a special mention for being so big, dumb and bad it's actually entertaining.

My Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen review here.


Next, coming soon to this blog, are the most highly anticipated films of 2010!

--------------------

The 35 films I saw in 2009 were:

2012 (still to be reviewed)
Angels & Demons
Antichrist
Avatar
Blindness
Bolt
Bride Wars
Bruno
Coraline
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
District 9
Drag Me to Hell
G-Force
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Gran Torino
The Hangover
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Inglourious Basterds
Jennifer's Body
Let the Right One In
Michael Jackson's This Is It
Monsters Vs. Aliens
Paranormal Activity
The Proposal
RocknRolla
Slumdog Millionaire
Star Trek
Surrogates
Terminator Salvation
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Twilight (re-release)
Up
Valkyrie
Watchmen
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!