Girlz 'N' Games #58: I Am (Sparkly) Sam


Apart from giving me the chance to draw some of the characters from new fantasy romance The Twilight Saga: New Moon, this comic is also intended as something of a commentary on the fact that vampires (especially in Stephenie Meyer's books and film adaptations) are almost always ultra-beautiful, accomplished, sleek and sexy teens and 20-somethings. I don't think there's a single vamp over the age of 40-45.

I suppose it's sort of like how aliens in movies are always so much more technologically advanced and intelligent than us humans, as opposed to the other way around.


Anyway, I got to thinking about the alternative to these "perfect" vampires. Anne Rice (and Stephenie Meyer) already touched on the "forbidden" child vampire concept. But what if you turned ugly people, the overweight or the mentally challenged into bloodthirsty immortals? Not quite the stuff of romantic fantasies anymore...

Then I remembered that a rapidly maturing Dakota Fanning was in New Moon, playing sadistic vampire Jane, and that immediately reminded me of her role in the Sean Penn-Michelle Pfeiffer drama I Am Sam, where a mentally challenged man (Penn) fights for custody of his perfect little daughter (Fanning). So I decided to transplant Beatles-obsessed Sam into New Moon as the oldest and most powerful of the Volturi, that coven of vampires who govern the undead world. I think it would have made for a much more interesting movie.

I just hope the reference isn't too obscure for most readers.


-------------------

As usual, if you like my latest Girlz 'N' Games comic, please forward it on to your like-minded friends. You can also show your support by joining the Girlz 'N' Games Facebook fan group, which is open to all. The big advantage of joining is that you'll immediately receive an email notification every time a new comic is uploaded.

If this doesn't suit you, you can also follow me on Twitter - I tend to tweet when a comic is in production, as well as provide a heads up when it's about to debut online.

Comments

MJenks said…
Well, since we haven't mastered interstellar flight yet, the aliens in sci-fi movies HAVE to be better at technology than we are, right?
Pfangirl said…
Well, that's certainly true if the sci-fi film is set on earth. But what about those films where humans, traveling in space encounter alien civilisations. Even then they're superior to us.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!