Weekend adventures

a) Watched the pool draw for the 2010 Football/Soccer World Cup (to be hosted by South Africa next year) on Friday evening. Thought the show would have been better if they'd replaced Charlize Theron with Sharlto Copley in a prawn mech.

b) Had my first ever ballroom dancing lesson on Saturday. Learning the foxtrot because the bf, as a groomsman, will have to dance at a wedding this coming weekend. Lesson 2 set for this coming Wednesday evening. Keep thinking of the Strictly Come Dancing TV show. Now seriously considering doing a beginners' course in February because it's actually a lot of fun.


c) As a result of dancing, will be practicing on Tuesday night and unlikely to see 2012 on Half Price Movie Tuesday... the last before the school holidays begin and the cinemas are flooded with brats. Need to conserve funds at the moment, especially since film ticket prices have just shot up for the festive season. Bah! Humbug!

d) Something strange is happening to my paladin... After a disastrous last Dungeons & Dragons session, Ix, a powerful dragonkin battlemage with ADHD, joined our party of adventurers - replacing captured mage Micha. We killed strange creatures and treacherous Calino tribespeople in the jungle, and decided to ignore a red herring that would have had us traveling to an aquatic demon plane to seek out magical mithril chains capable of binding a god (swimming is not a great option for someone wearing heavy, full plate armour!) Meanwhile, Herkon the paladin, deprived of all his spells, has been having disturbing dreams. He's also been discovering he has different new abilities almost every day.

e) Decided to counter my frequently disturbing (if enlightening) Bible reading with something a bit more fluffy and enjoyable. Have started Superman: Birthright, Mark Waid's retcon of the Man of Steel's origin story.


f) Fought my way through the mall crowds on a wet and miserable Saturday afternoon to essentially complete my Christmas shopping.

g) Worked Sunday morning to fund my Christmas shopping. Got up at 6am to drive down the coast to Scottburgh where I acted as a facilitator for an Amazing Race-themed team build. In the process I had to deal with people who thought I actually worked on the TV show (morons!), met Rudolph Straeuli without knowing it, and had a tyre blowout in the fast lane of the N2. It's a lot of fun changing a tyre there, especially when so many drivers apparently think it's perfectly acceptable to just ignore, and drive over, the little red triangle placed in the road.

h) Didn't work on this week's Girlz 'N' Games web comic nearly as much as I wanted.

i) Tried to get some blog updates written and scheduled to appear before a very busy week begins.

Comments

Mandy said…
I was blown away at how expensive cinema tickets have become in SA. When it is actually cheaper to go to movies in London, you know there is something seriously wrong.
MJenks said…
I got most of my shopping done this weekend, too. I just need to go pick up the new Harry Potter movie tomorrow, a Miyazaki movie, and next week go pick up a couple of books, and I'll be finished.

Saturday (when I went out) was cold and rainy and miserable. Tomorrow, (when I go out again), it's supposed to be cold and rainy and miserable. We have that in common.
Pfangirl said…
Emm, the increases happen every holiday season and it really ticks me off. My budget is very controlled at the moment and if I can't make a Half Price night, that's me missing out on a movie evening for a full week, as well as falling behind with my movie reviews. Maybe I should try worm my way into press screenings...

MJenks, congrats on the shopping. I'm curious: do you still do a lot of traditional physically-visit-a-store shopping, or have you moved more towards online shopping?

As for the weather, Durban is known for its hot, sunny (and unbearably humid) Springs and Summers. For the past 2 months, sunshine has been the exception; not the norm - which is highly frustrating, especially when you're trying to work on a tan.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!