The Weekend

Well, we didn’t have electricity this morning from 8:30 to 12:30 at the office. And now I sit twiddling my thumbs waiting for Account Executives to brief me. Mostly right now I feel like putting my head down on my desk and having an afternoon siesta.

Anyway, as for happenings on the weekend, Paul and I managed to squeeze in quite a few activities. This was despite me being passed out by 10:30 on Friday night, and Paul lying face down on bed by the same time on Saturday evening.

On Saturday morning we joined Gareth and Denbeigh at the Quarters Hotel for an enjoyable breakfast with Jackie before she headed back to the UK to earn pounds. The breakfast carried through until well after lunch, when Paul and I detoured down to Game City and picked up a self defence weapon each - in the form of an expandable ASP baton. It’s a self-defence alternative with reach, seeing as I don’t believe in guns, and the risk of AIDs in South Africa makes knives a no-no.


On Saturday afternoon we went for a cycle in the game reserve, which ended in a sprint up a hill, carrying our bikes, because the reserve now locks its gates for some silly reason at 6pm sharp (despite the long, bright Summer days). Earlier I’d been taken down a complicated, steep trail and fallen heavily on tree roots when my bike refused to jump a waterbreak log. And they say martial arts are dangerous?

On Sunday, I tried to shortcut the tanning process by lazing out on the beach without any sun block. Somehow I managed to get away with it. With my burn danger zones covered by clothing and a beach umbrella, I managed to restrict a light pinkness to my shoulders, the right side of my back and a little bit of my front. Best of all, away from the beach these skin areas are under cover, so I don’t have to contend with teasing at work.

While we were at the beach I also FINALLY finished Good Omens (by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman), which I’d been reading stop-start for the last month (never an ideal reading situation). As a pop culture confession, it’s the book I finally lost my Terry Pratchett virginity to. It’s certainly an entertaining, very clever take on the Apocalypse, although I did think it ended a bit flat. Then again, I had the same comment about Neil Gaiman’s Stardust.


Otherwise on Sunday, Paul and I screamed and swore at some particularly nasty jumping and sneaking puzzles in the Family Guy game (worthy of a GEAR column, I think), and headed to Taco Zulu for a very early dinner in celebration of my birthday last Wednesday. Eight of the invited Durbs crowd made it, and happily dug into enchiladas, Californian burritos, and assorted fruity daiquiris.

So yep, a good, if very hot, humid weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!