Trailer Tuesday: Marie Antoinette

I must say… my interest for Sophia Coppola’s latest, Marie Antoinette, was really piqued by a TV spot which started like a conventional period costume drama and then transformed with Bow Wow Wow’s I Want Candy kicking in.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find that clip on YouTube. However, the full trailer successfully captures the paradox of 18th Century tradition versus Versailles’ decadent party atmosphere:



Reviews for Marie Antoinette have been mixed (the standard criticism is that Coppola gets more caught up in capturing Antoinette’s obsession with clothes and food and jewellery than worrying about filmic substance). Some of my favourite movie blogs however thoroughly enjoyed the film, calling it a fun, decadent pleasure – movie cake as opposed to bread, if you will.

And I like cake.


Plus, I’m a huge Kirsten Dunst fan. Although I think she is totally wasted in the Spider-Man movies, my following of her filmography was assured from the moment she appeared onscreen as a child-vampire in Interview with a Vampire. Hell, I’ve seen cheerleader teen comedy Bring It On at least 5 times.

Dunst was brilliant in Sophia Coppola’s earlier directing effort, The Virgin Suicides. And I’m curious to see how she handles Marie Antoinette’s transition from naïve 14 year old, stripped of her childhood, to a woman to drugs herself out of her unhappiness with an endless series of extravagant, materialistic pleasures.

The jury’s out on whether I’ll be seeing this one at the cinema though – Paul hates Dunst and I seriously doubt I’ll be able to lure him into a costume drama. I’ll probably have to see it with some women friends or family.

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, here’s a very interesting Wiki article on the real Antoinette.

Marie Antoinette opens in South African cinemas on 16 March.

Comments

almadora said…
i dig your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!