Action-RPG all the way!

I'm not a big RPG (Role-Plating Game) fan because my gaming has fallen into bite-size digestible chunks of an hour or so, typically on a weekend. So I don't feel like I can contribute the time needed to really advance in something like free-roaming Oblivion, for example. And spending that hour just walking from Point A to Point B does not provide the gaming gratification I need.

The Action-RPG, however, is an awesome little sub-genre that keeps me mentally absorbed and my character on a killing-and-treasure-hunting spree for that full hour. Blizzard's Diablo games set the trend, spawning a number of imitators. What's interesting now though is that the imitators are really coming into their own, adding their own flavour to the genre (even if it is only stunning 3D graphics). There are a number of Action-RPGs on the horizon, and given my boredom with traditional elf and orc fantasy, it's refreshing to see that these forthcoming games are set against 'different' backdrops.

Here's some sweet box art (love that Cerberus) from the Ancient World-set Titan Quest expansion, Immortal Throne. You can read more about the game at IGN and GameBanshee. An interesting Gamespot hands-on can be read here. Immortal Throne is being released in South Africa around 16 March, according to the BT Games release schedule.


Debuting for PC at the end of February in North America is Jade Empire: Special Edition. Here's the GameSpot hands-on, and the official site, from BioWare, the geniuses behind Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Although a more conventional RPG with Action elements (like Fable), Jade Empire is set in the feudal Orient, and combines conventional weapons combat with some kickass martial arts moves. Ported from the original XBox, the new Special Edition for PC features new content and updated graphics.

What's particularly refreshing is that the System Requirements are very accessible for anyone who has done any sort of upgrading in the last 2 years.


Finally, due for release in the second quarter of 2007 is Loki, another Ancient World set Action-RPG for PC. This time the player's character choice includes one of four heroes: a mighty Norse warrior, a fierce Greek fighter, a powerful Egyptian sorcerer or a skilled Aztec shaman. Events will take place against Norse, Greek, Aztec and Egyptian mythology, and includes events like the siege of Troy, the fall of the Aztec empire and Ragnarok.

Of the 3 Action-RPGs I've mentioned, Loki is the one I'm most skeptical about, but that's largely because I'm unfamiliar with the studio's work, and the fact that they're making some pretty big promises on their website. Anyway, here's the GameSpot page.

Comments

Lord Spaceman said…
"I'm not a big RPG (Role-Plating Game) fan because my gaming has fallen into bite-size digestible chunks of an hour or so, typically on a weekend."

Oh! the blasphemousy ! My poor eyes ! :)

Thanks for the heads up on Loki - looks interesting. No mention of Hellgate:London ? That's gonna be some insane action-RPG x 10,000 right there!
Pfangirl said…
There are only so many hours in the day, Lord Spaceman, and I have so many things on my to-do list;)

As for Hellgate: London, I'll reserve my opinion until I play the demo. I suppose I should do that for the other games I've mentioned but Hellgate seems to have been so overhyped so far that I'd prefer to distance myself from it, and rely on my own experiences.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!