What a bitch!

Murphy's Law, irony, whatever you want to call it, this little meddler in our lives is an absolute bitch.

For example, last week my parents sold their 2nd car - with no space in the garage it was sitting outside exposed to weather and semi-frequent window smashings. In perfect working condition, it was sold to a young family in Johannesburg. Last night, my mother was in a head-on collision in my parent's now only car, the Honda Ballade.

You see, some dumb fucker, impatient about waiting in a queue of traffic, decided to overtake by speeding into the single lane of oncoming traffic... and hit my mother.

Fortunately my mother is just badly shaken and not hurt, and although the damage to the front right side of the car of the car is pretty bad (the front wheel axle looks broken), the engine looks untouched, the windscreen is intact. So the car doesn't seem to be a write-off.

Of course, repairs will be bloody expensive and now there's all the hassles of waiting for repairs, sorting out insurance, etc. The dumb fuck may be a legit driver, but he doesn't have insurance - getting the excess out of him will be a nightmare - and has not been answering his cellphone. Fortunately my parents have all his details, and my sister had the good idea to snap a picture of him, and all the car damage, with her digital camera.

---

In other news, I've just been made a rather unique once-in-a-lifetime work offer. Not in terms of my full-time copywriting job, but rather in regards to the gaming magazine work I've been doing on the side. It's a fantastic opportunity, particularly in terms of name exposure, but it does mean my already full plate is going to be even more heavily burdened. Plus I've always struggled with saying 'No'. So I've got to think this one out carefully...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sheesh, luckily your mom is alright. People seem to do some pretty stupid things in traffic and it gets to me when people aren't patient. Clever thinking on your sis' side! I just hope I remember to do that when I'm in an accident.

Congrats on your "rather unique once-in-a-lifetime work offer", what ever that is! I say go for it, hard work never killed anybody!
Anonymous said…
I've taken many things on my plate before and have felt the stress, but it is always better than wondering "what if..." about the opportunities I let pass me by.
Pfangirl said…
Well, I turned down the one offer because frankly it was too much work on top of everything else I was doing, and I most likely would not have been able to provide them with continually good material. I think I would have run out of ideas too soon.

Instead, someone else has made me a similar offer that allows me to get exposure for continuing to do something I already enjoy doing.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!