Trailer Tuesday: Black Christmas



Seeing as it's Halloween and now less than 2 months until Christmas, I thought I'd combine the 2 holidays with the teaser trailer for Black Christmas, a remake of the 1970's slasher that has a maniac killing young nubile women in a sorority house around the festive season.

Personally, I'm a little jaded by the slasher genre, which hasn't offered viewers anything new in a good long while (Help! A masked, weapon-wielding psycho killing teens!). The genre has also been beaten soundly in the 'freaky' stakes by new sicko torture fests like Saw and Hostel. So I doubt I'll be seeing this in cinemas when it is released (surprise, surprise) around 25 December, unless the reviews are very good, and nothing else on circuit grabs me.

Still, I'll definitely make an effort to watch it on DVD or TV. Especially since the film does have some positives in its corner. The Black Christmas remake comes from the team who made the original Final Destination, and does at least star Michelle Trachtenberg, one of my favourite young actresses, as one of the sorority sisters in peril.

Oh, and that awesome cheesy tagline - The ultimate slay ride!

Comments

Sean Carter said…
Though i am not a big fan of such films but since Michelle is acting, i am certainly going to watch this film coz i like her a lot. thanx for the info. peep into this amazing Christmas Blog for some really cool info and gift ideas.
Wasp Jerky said…
Interesting. Glen Morgan did such a great job on The X-Files. I wasn't too fond of the first Final Destination, although it was poetry compared to the third one. But I'll probably give this a shot just because he's behind it.
Pfangirl said…
There's nothing wrong with a little festive season horror. I just hope Black Christmas is fun and engaging.

Those 2 vital aspects seem to be missing from most slashers/convententional horrors of recent years. Scream, H20 and Final Destination all had it, so maybe, just maybe, there may be hope for this movie.

Cool blog there, Sean.
Wasp Jerky said…
Yeah. I watched the original Halloween last night. Many critics praise that film with spawning most of the current slasher conventions, while actually still being, you know, good. What I didn't realize is that the original Black Christmas predates Halloween by a couple of years, so it's actually the film breaking the new ground.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!