Cosplay Thursday... starring moi!

Two weekends ago, I attended a themed 30th birthday party for a friend - one of those unusual jock-geek hybrid guys, as much into rugby as he is into gaming (electronic, boardgames and tabletop wargaming). Anyway, the theme of the party was World of WarCraft (WOW), referring of course to the most popular, fantasy-themed MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) on earth.

I'm a big fan of World of WarCraft - having just got off the "juice" in March this year. And I'm just as big a fan of cosplay (although I don't have the opportunity to do it often). So naturally the party was a chance to combine two passions and really make an effort with my costume. It took me a week to gather all the outfit components as well as make, and paint, the armour. As you can no doubt guess, I am VERY serious about my cosplay... to the point of doing the Superman thing and wearing underwear over my clothes.


Anyway, I was initially torn between going as an undead/Forsaken warlock, like my beloved WOW character, Euridycce; or a sexy blood elf mage, particularly since I had the official "belf" ears and access to an inflatable sheep (the outcome of WOW mages' signature Polymorph spell). Eventually I settled on the only hybrid undead-elf character in the game: Lady Sylvanas Windrunner, a former Ranger-General turned Banshee, and now Queen of the Forsaken.

I may not have attended ICON 2010, South Africa's biggest gaming and comic convention, and I still dream of going to the San Diego Comic-Con one day, but I at least got to be there in cosplay spirit thanks to the party (which coincidentally took place on the same weekend as both conventions).


For the record, I did win Best Dressed at the party. I guess painting yourself blue does provide a competitive, eye-catching edge. The party was followed by heading up the road to a Steers fast food outlet and providing endless amusement for the late shift staff, who couldn't resist whipping out their cellphone cameras and posing for pics with me.

As a final note, beware face paints that are described as "cream based" and "won't harden or crack". The makers are lying! I practically had to scour my skin to get the stuff off. Oh, what one does for one's art;)

Comments

Mark said…
Impressive.

Not only do you put in serious effort (which deserves huge props) into the idea and concept, but you pulled it off so darn well.

From the well recreated outfit, the effort with the body paint, the guts to put it on show for all, and actually having an extremely sexy body that does the whole ensemble justice.

Well done, very impressive indeed :)
Cleric said…
Well done! You sure pulled it off, and looked awesome! :)

I guess it's the flash that makes you appear more white than blue on the photos? Nonetheless, I'm sure the party was fun, and the fast food staff wondered why you were dressed that way. (unless someone there plays WoW and knew what was going on) :P
Pfangirl said…
Thanks for the compliments, guys:)

Cleric, I mixed a very pale shade of blue for the body paint - I didn't want to look like a smurf:)

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!