Vote "Pfangirl" this South African Blog Awards season

Well, it's that time of year again: the annual SA Blog Awards are here.

The competition is generally regarded as a popularity - not quality - contest that gives a nice little pat on the back to the "elite" of the local blogosphere. The same people just keep on winning year after year. But, you know what? To hell with that. I want a piece of the voting action this year. I certainly don't have any illusions of winning, but it would be nice to receive a little acknowledgment and attention. Pleeeeaaaassse...


So, of course, the big question: Why should you vote for me?

1) The trump card: The obvious reason - vote because you enjoy my blog posts... because you find them informative, intelligent and entertaining. Perhaps I'm just ignorant of the local "competition", or a little delusional, but Pfangirl Through the Looking Glass is arguably the top South African entertainment blog covering all things pop culture geeky: movies, gaming, role-playing, superheroes and comic books, with some "Child of the 80s" nostalgia, travel entries and personal posts thrown in for good measure. This blog isn't so much a news portal as it is my commentary on news-making projects with geek and mainstream appeal. Hopefully my commentary has value to blog visitors out there.

2) The sympathy card: I've been unemployed for 10 months now thanks to the recession and Durban's lousy job offerings. During that time, this blog has been my unofficial job, my passion, my reason to get up every morning and keep writing. A slot among the SA Blog Awards nominees would certainly help me overcome the mild depression and anxiety I've been suffering from as a result of feeling professionally unwanted/undervalued all this time. Who knew 5+ years of professional writing experience and an Honours degree wouldn't be enough?

3) The "Sex sells" card: Unlike several popular local femme bloggers, I don't blog or tweet about my sex life (unless I'm really quite drunk). But I cosplay. And I'm not opposed to painting myself blue and posing half naked (see the post below). That has to count for some votes, right? And who knows? If I reach the second stage of voting perhaps I'll dress up/down for your amusement again.


nominate this blog

Anyway, anyone around the world can nominate me - with the Best Entertainment Blog category being the best fit, I believe. All you need do is click on this banner above.

Each nomination submission has to include 3 votes, however (which you must verify on the right side of the page that opens), so at the same time you're voting for me, you should show some nomination love for my favourite, regularly updated, geek and nerd-friendly South African blogs:

GeekPop [Best Entertainment Blog, Best New Blog]
Tenletter [Best Group Blog]
The Rugged Rock of Craig [Best Entertainment Blog, Best Personal Blog]
Counting Beans [Best Entertainment Blog, Best Personal Blog]
Goblin Talk [Best Entertainment Blog, Best Personal Blog]
Bits and Pieces [Best Personal Blog]
Revenge of the Nerdette [Best Personal Blog]
Lazygamer [Best Entertainment Blog, Best Group Blog]
Running Wolf's Rant [Best Entertainment Blog]
Onelargeprawn [Best Entertainment Blog, Best Group Blog]

And if I forgot you, or any of your faves, please leave a comment to rectify my mistake.

As a final note, they really need a gaming-specific category next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!