Weekend pop culture consumption

After last week's long holiday weekend, where I just felt the need to be out there, doing things and generally being active, this weekend was pretty chilled. The most constructive thing I did was working on Girlz 'N' Games #50, due for online debut later this week.

Anyway, in terms of my pop culture consumption worth commenting on, I caught a few movies and played quite a bit of World of WarCraft. As I mentioned a few weeks back I decided to close my WOW account because after 2+ years of mostly solo play I was bored. I'd done everything I wanted to with my favourite character, Euridycce the undead warlock. However, since the bf has been back he's been on a WOW kick and I have someone to play with again. Or rather, we've been running around, questing with our lower level characters - my blood elf paladin Herkon (based on my sexually ambiguous D&D character), and his Tauren druid Merle. So although my account expires today, I may be reactivating it sooner rather than later. Anyway, for anyone who is interested in this type of thing, these are my characters. And yes, we're For the Horde:



Please note the distinctly South African name and buffalo horns. For the record, the bf made a companion for Sipho, a white Tauren death knight by the name of Mlungu.



In terms of film watching I finally got around to 2007 horror flick 30 Days of Night, which is based on the comic book miniseries of the same name.

Despite being highly recommended by friends, frankly the film disappointed me. It certainly has a fantastic concept (vampires descend on an isolated Alaskan town in Winter as it enters a month long "night"), and for once the the blood drinkers are depicted as something genuinely scary. However the overall film just felt flat and uninvolving in all aspects. Apart from the cardboard characters (Josh Hartnett, Melissa George and Danny Huston star) I was mostly irritated by the inconsistencies and lack of logic applied to the vampires' behaviour. For example, the vamps, despite being deadly killing machines with a very limited food supply (which they waste BTW), are never around when the heroes are sneaking through the town.


Lack of consistency and logic were also among my chief complaints regarding Transformers sequel Revenge of the Fallen, which I FINALLY caught on IMAX this weekend. I won't go into too much detail as I'll be writing a full review soon, but the film was pretty much what I expected it to be: big and so very dumb it's actually enjoyably bad. I have a theory that if you were to watch Transformers and GI Joe (which is apparently similarly dumb) back to back, your brain will take as much of a knock as going a round with Mike Tyson... or smoking weed every day for a decade.


Hmmm, actually as I think about it I owe you guys a few reviews, for Let the Right One In, Antichrist and, now, Transformers. They'll be coming soon now that I'm back on the blogging wagon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!