A weekend of superheroes

After a balls-to-the-wall week with at least one new frustration every single morning, Friday ended up being a half-day as the creative team was rewarded for our efforts with lunch at Spice, one of Durban's current top restaurants (newly relocated to Windermere Road). This is the place where Bill Clinton and Bill Gates ate when they were in town, out of interest.

As it stands the food is excellent but very expensive - main courses average around R110 and desserts R40. Also, I'm not quite sure if it was the meal, or all the white wine I drank, or even just the week's stresses finally catching up on me, but I started feeling really ill on my stomach in the late afternoon. I had to take it pretty easy for the rest of the evening once I got home.

On Saturday the big activity of the day was going to see Watchmen at IMAX. My review will be up on this site in the coming few days, but the short version is that yes, this is the comic book realised ultra-faithfully on the big screen. It's very good, not outstanding, but I can't wait to see it again on the big screen in the coming weeks, and I'll definitely be getting my paws on the extended director's cut DVD when it is finally released.


I was a bit saddened though to find the cinema three-quarters' empty, and then hear that the film underperformed at the box office on its opening weekend. Dark, adult and complex, Watchmen deserves better than this - but I guess we're dealing with a world of illiterate nubs who only get excited about the big, known heroes. Hmph.

Anyway, on Saturday I also finally got around to spending my most recent Exclusive Books voucher, picking up Neil Gaiman's Coraline (complete with Dave McKean illustrations, yay!) in preparation for the movie release, and... erm... MJenks will hate me, and Kate will love me for this... Stephenie Meyer's Twilight - the Harry Potter of Vampire Lit.

But I can justify the purchase, seriously! For one thing, I need to be an informed pop culture commentator. For another, I really need to see how superior my long-stalled vampire novel is to Ms Meyer's creation. For the record, you can read an extract from my story here.

On Saturday evening I kept an ear and eye on Gladiator, while I was sketching and working on the PC. It just reminded me why the film remains one of my all-time favourites. And the ending always makes me cry without fail.


Sunday was busy and sun filled. It started with a surprisingly good breakfast with the family at the Wilson's Wharf Zack's (in the past I've been unimpressed with their cold, mediocre food). The place is actually quite quiet on a Sunday morning and we got a prime table overlooking the harbour. After a tasty Eggs Benedict we then headed off to the beachfront and strolled around the South Beach flea market, where I picked up something I've been wanting for years - a Superman logo T-shirt.

One thing though, the Durban beachfront has a serious beggar infestation problem. Between the car and taking a brisk walk around the market, we were hassled by at least 7 different beggars. At certain points on the walkway you were practically tripping over them. Literally.

Otherwise Sunday was spent at a braai at the bf's house, where we did some making up and making out; and then I met up later for drinks with a friend I haven't seen for 4 years now, who was down from the bustling metropolis of Secunda.

A good portion of this weekend was also spent working on my latest Girlz 'N' Games web comic. I was up till midnight last night working on it, and with just the shading and dialogue to go, it will be up on this blog, and the GNG dedicated Facebook page, in the next few days. And no major surprise here but it's got a Watchmen focus! Something to look forward to then...

Comments

Gareth said…
Lol, I hated Twilight the movie, but Denb enjoyed it. So she bought all 3 books. And loved them. Different strokes, heh.
MJenks said…
"I really need to see how superior my long-stalled vampire novel is to Ms Meyer's creation."

Hahahahahahahaha! Alright, you're justified in buying this. Of course, I read Orcs, so I can't really be casting aspersions on anyone else's taste in literature.

I heard some nub on the radio this morning who said, "We were expecting it [Watchmen] to be like Spider-Man or something, and it was all dark and depressing!" Ugh. Morons.
Pfangirl said…
Gareth, yes. My understanding is that Twilight is a great way to introduce women especially to the dark fantasy/horror genre - a gateway drug as it were. Unfortunately I've read extensively in the genre, and once you've been exposed to the likes of Anne Rice, undead teenagers making goo-goo eyes at each other is a step backwards in terms of depth and complexity.

Queen of the Damned remains my favourite ever vampire novel, with the most satisfying origin story.

MJenks, your review made me want to desperately read Orcs, especially after the whole "unicorn horn dildo" thing :)

And yes, I've heard plenty of Watchmen moron stories too - like people getting bored and walking out, and idiots actually laughing at the rape scene. WTF?

And I really don't think you can blame Warner Brothers for misleading marketing in this case - at no point did I ever get a "Yay, Spiderman" impression from the promotional material.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!