Trailer Tuesday: Marley & Me


I'll be honest upfront. I probably won't be going to watch family movie Marley & Me, based on the bestselling memoir of the same name (by John Grogan). You see, animal movies, especially dog movies, are my kryptonite. I bawled the whole way through Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, Babe and King Kong, and even Bolt brought tears to my eyes. And yes, I flat out refused to watch huskies-stranded-in-Antartica film, Eight Below.


I honestly don't think I'll cope with this tale of a hyperactive, impossible-to-discipline Labrador, who is adopted by a couple of yuppie reporters (Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston) in order to give them a taste of parenthood. As badly behaved as Marley is, though, over the years he becomes an irreplaceable part of the family.

Our Golden Retriever, the "baby" of the family, has just turned 14, and her back legs are going (life expectancy for Retrievers is traditionally around 10-12) so I'm particularly sensitive to the thought of losing her. As the trailer for Marley & Me hints, the characters go through a similar situation as their beloved dog reaches the end of his life. And I don't think I can deal with seeing that right now.


Marley & Me was released on Christmas Day in the US and made history as the highest grossing film to be released on that holiday. The film remained at the #1 position at the box office for 2 weeks.

Marley and Me has also scored a solid 61% Fresh over at Rotten Tomatoes. According to reviews it is a sweet, if sometimes too saccharine, treat that is both touching and funny (in parts). It is especially recommended for pet lovers. Marley & Me opens in South Africa on 20 March.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!