More Watchmen for Wednesday

Back in 2000 or so, there was a move by DC Direct to produce collectible figurines based on the Watchmen trade paperback to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the miniseries. However Watchmen writer Alan Moore, who has a very strained relationship with DC Comics (to say the least), managed to exert his creator's rights and got the project canned (Read an interesting article on the matter here).

Imagine my surprise then when I opened my weekly Figure Fanatix newsletter and discovered that a brand new series of Watchmen collectible figurines is available. As it turns out, Alan Moore's dissociation of himself from the Watchmen film created a loophole for DC and Warner Brothers to create a line of figurines based on the movie as opposed to the comic.


It's really a pity I don't have the space to expand my collection beyond my single Medusa-head wielding Kratos figurine, because I really like the look of these 7 inchers, which come in at around R200 each.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah, saw these figurines at Figure Fanatix at Tyger Manor on the weekend. Not bad looking at all, but I really don't like DC's insistence on poseable joints though.
Pfangirl said…
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of those kinds of joints either.

Very cool though that you can actually get to the shop and check things out "in the flesh." Models and figurines are something I actually prefer to examine before purchasing to ensure I'm picking up the best painted, best quality one.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!