Trailer Tuesday: Cloverfield



I've pretty much already posted my thoughts on Cloverfield, the top secret new movie project from Lost creator-producer JJ Abrams. And, honestly, this new trailer hasn't changed my opinion at all.

I've had a few discussions with people about Cloverfield's apparent Blair Witch-style take on urban monster movies, with a focus on affected ordinary people. My personal feelings are that after such an incredible (and frankly inexplicable) hype build-up, the pay-off can be nothing but a let-down. I mean, it's some big monster wrecking New York for goodness sakes - that's a B-movie schlock genre that went out of style with the rise of the contemporary blockbuster. Consider how the 1998 Godzilla remake tanked so royally.

So count me in the unexcited minority when it comes to Cloverfield... which opens in the US on 18 January next year.

Comments

Unknown said…
Films released in January are either expanding Oscar hopefuls/contenders or low level commercial fair. No non-Oscar type film has grossed over 100mil that's opened in January in ages.

If this breaks the 60million mark the studio will be over the moon.

Also I'm currently in Toronto and no body almost nobody hear is talking about this.

I think it's safe to say you are part of the unexcited majority.
Pfangirl said…
Oh goodie! I'm not alone;)

I've always thought the whole "movies don't make money in January and February" argument has been cemented by the studios themselves - refusing to release anything noteworthy in that period; just their leftovers.

I honestly believe you could release high profile films all year and with sufficient marketing people would go see them, instead of cramming them into just 4-5 months of the year.
Unknown said…
I completely agree with you. It is the studios who release the crap at certain times of the year. In the states they do the same thing with TV playing mostly repeats during summer.

But with that being said, knowing that this is how the studios think, the release date of the film is usually an indication of the quality. If they had more faith in Cloverfield they would bump it up to March.

Interestingly Wanted has just had it's release date changed from a March release to Summer up against the new Pixar flick and Valkyrie.
Unknown said…
Looks like I'll have to eat my words on this. Steve Mason has posted the tracking and the film is heading for a monstrous 4-day opening (40m):

http://news.fantasymoguls.com/originalcontent/2008/01/weekend-trackin.html

But Mason's tracking has been wrong on occasion so I guess we'll find out tomorrow when the Friday estimates are released.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!