Trailer Tuesday: Cloverfield AKA 1-18-08 AKA Slusho AKA JJ Abrams sci-fi flick



The online geek community has been going ga-ga for this teaser trailer first attached to Transformers. It's for the latest as-yet-unnamed film project from producer JJ Abrams, the creator of Alias and Lost.

The film, which usually adopts its 18 January 2008 release date as its title (in fact, 1-18-08 is the current official site), is shrouded in mystery. The most that can be said of it is that it's sci-fi, filmed in the hand-held camera style of the trailer. Well, this is according to Wikipedia at least.

I can't say I was particularly blown away by the trailer. Sure it's keeping all the trump cards clasped closely to its chest, so I may be totally off-track in terms of my first impressions, but I'm really getting a "Blair Witch meets Godzilla" vibe from the trailer. Unknowns. Shaky camera work. Explosions. Something decapitating the Statue of Liberty. Apart from the clever, enigmatic marketing, I'm not exactly stunned by the originality. Which isn't a good thing... But time will tell, I suppose.

Thanks to Lord Spaceman for pointing this one out...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!