The weekend

The weekend played out pretty much as I suspected it would.

Friday evening was dinner with friends (with lots of video game discussion) followed by movies at a surprisingly quiet Musgrave. You can read my review of Beowulf below. I arrived home to find a massive box from Figure Fanatix on my bed. Turns out that Paul was attempting to cheer me up from afar with a gift – a Nightmare Before Christmas snow globe. Naturally it now occupies a place of honour alongside my PC monitor.


Saturday was spent at the Submission Wrestling Tournament in Durban. I hadn’t slept very well the night before because of nerves, but it turns out that all the stress and additional training was unnecessary because not a single woman competitor pitched. Why is it that women are such faders when it comes to sporting commitment? Anyway, as usual I did my bit, keeping track of the tables, collecting the entry fees and score keeping. I got a free competitor’s T-shirt out of it, and everyone got to watch some intense, excellent grappling, with the country’s best competing.

Back home in the evening I got in my last little bit of World of WarCraft playing for the month. With our 1GB cap dangerously close to 100% used, I won’t be doing any online game playing, skyping or web browsing at home until everything resets on Saturday, 1 December again.

On Sunday I accompanied my sister as she attempted some rather disorganised Christmas shopping at the Pavillion. I’m so glad I’ve already finished because the place is morphing into a madhouse populated by some very aggro shoppers and dumbass retail staff.

At least I got to experience first hand the laughable new “security measures” the mall has put in place after a shoot out/jewellery store robbery 2 weeks ago. Basically it’s just a diminutive, completely unarmed security guard with a handheld metal detector at every entrance. My sister and I both beeped but were left unsearched. You could get a weapon past them easily, or, if you’re as brazen as most of South Africa’s criminals tend to be, you could always just pop the guard in the head with an assault rifle and continue on your merry way.

Otherwise I spent the rest of the day catching up on sleep, watching oh-so-crap Idols – what happened to themed shows to stretch the range of contestants and stop them from singing tedious ballad after tedious ballad? – and finishing Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist, which is an inspiring, symbolic tale about achieving your destiny, even if it is a little heavy on the spiritual, New Agey stuff.


Next weekend, Paul gets back on Sunday evening - after over 6 weeks away!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!