Weekend report back

Well, this weekend was a pretty uneventful and quiet - if you discount the Bosnia-like "explosions" of Diwali on Friday evening. No word yet on how many obnoxious little fucks managed to blow off their fingers this year as they played with the usual mini sticks of dynamite.

Anyway...

Friday:
World of WarCraft. I was invited to a braai but neither the family, the bf, or myself, like the thought of me driving great distances alone after dark - especially since the N2 / N3 split has become a hijack hotspot of late.

So, after watching this week's taped episode of South Park - a hilarious spoof of all those nanny/child discipline reality shows - I teamed my Paladin, Herkon, with a friend's warlock, and levelled him a handful of times. As you can see below, he now looks considerably more masculine (well, as much as is possible for a blood elf).


Saturday:
I got my room back. Finally. After 2 months. First there was family visiting from overseas, and then my grandmother needed a room in the house to recover from an illness - we didn't want her climbing the stairs up to her granny flat when she was so weak.

So my entire Saturday was spent moving my stuff back into my space. I also used the opportunity to go through my cupboards and ruthlessly dump old clothes, boxes and assorted other "junk".

Out of interest, this is my home workspace as it currently looks:


During Saturday, I also dipped in and out of a Skype chat with Paul, who was at the office in Chile coding away furiously. Turns out his business trip has been extended for ANOTHER full week, and he'll only be back on 30 November. I'm expecting a very nice, thoughtful Christmas present in compensation for his 6 week absence, his missing my upcoming Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament, and his frequent references to just how popular he is with decidedly forward Chilean women.

I rounded off the evening watching the first Harry Potter film (The Philosopher's Stone) on ETV. Apart from the dated special effects, viewing the film again reminded me exactly why I remain a fan of the earlier films in the Potter series - they actually present JK Rowling's wizarding world in a lot more detail, giving the audience time to share in Harry and co's wonderment at everything around them. Plus, it's certainly amusing to see the series stars so young and small, complete with unbroken voices.

Sunday:
Sunday was just too nice a day to sit inside, even though I was supposed to be working on my novel (so far it's just 2000 words out of 50 000, teehee), and sketching a comic for my sister's Fatherhood newsletter. So I sat outside tanning. I used the time to finish Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass before moving on to Kingdom Come, the superhero graphic novel by Mark Waid and Alex Ross.

I enjoyed The Golden Compass even if I can't say that I always found it to be an irresistable page-turner. However the characterisation is excellent (retaining some surprising ambiguity even), I really liked the concept of companion animal daemons, and the book is very well written stylistically. Plus I'm ready now for the movie's release in 3 weeks' time.


Otherwise on Sunday I played a bit more WOW, chatted to Paul and attempted some work on my novel while watching 2 crappy films - pointless remake Poseidon and the worst, worst, worst of the Brosnan Bonds, Die Another Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!