Family Guy Friday: D&D

OK, let's try to get another weekly tradition doing on this blog: Family Guy Friday!


I'm a huge fan of this cult animated comedy series, which had a blink-and-you miss-it First Season run on South African television a few years back. The series is available locally on DVD but I find its general obscurity really sad because it proves that Saffies can't cope with subversive adult cartoons in prime time (with the exception of the increasingly tame Simpsons, of course).

I don't know what it is about the show but clearly a lot of children and teens of the 1980s are involved in its making - episodes are heavily flavoured with skewed pop culture references to the period (everything pops up from Mr Belvedere to The Goonies to Thundercats). Personally I receive a real warm, fuzzy nostalgia kick from such moments.

Anyway, you can now look forward to one of Family Guy's trademark cutaway moments every Friday morning right here. If you have any specific requests, please contact me.

Given my weekly Dungeons & Dragons sessions - where I adore playing the abnoxiously pious, if charismatic, right-wing Paladin - I thought I'd start with this sexual spin on "role-playing":


Oh, and for further Family Guy fun, research yesterday into last year's Top 10 Viral Marketing campaigns uncovered this gem:

American Dad vs. Family Guy Kung Fu!


It's a full-on Flash-based fighting game that pits the families of Family Guy and American Dad (Seth MacFarlane created both series) against each other. Hell, it's even got specific combo moves for the different characters.

It's a bit of a bandwidth guzzler, but damn, it's hilarious. My personal highlight? Mousing over outcast Meg Griffin and having her desperately thank you for choosing her...

Comments

Wasp Jerky said…
Here's a bonus track: 10 minutes of footage from the hour long season opener, which is a Family Guy Star Wars parody. It's a bootleg from a screening, so the quality is a little rough, and there's a laugh track of real people. Still pretty fun.
Pfangirl said…
Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to check the clip out. Man I can't get enough Family Guy these days :)

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!