Andre the hilarious hypnotist, and more

Much to my surprise, yesterday I landed complementary tickets to the opening night of Andre the Hilarious Hypnotist’s annual Durban run. I guess sometimes it does pay to forward on promotional emails. Anyway, I’m sure the dishing out of free tickets for the first evening is largely to get the word out, so yeah, I’ll do my bit here.


This is my second year of watching the show when it’s in town. If you’re a returnee like me then you’ll quickly realise that Andre tends to stick to the same routine. However, it’s not so much the hypnotist you come to see as it is all the people who rush up onto stage to be hypnotised. With different people every time, each show is different.

And man, oh man, is it funny. Hypnotism seems to have the usual effect of stripping people of their inhibitions and regulators over their prejudices. Some participants speak garbled nonsense as if they’re in a dream state. So last night we had a participant believing he was an accomplished French artist, another ripping off his shirt and rushing into the audience to “rescue” girls every time the Baywatch theme was played, another licking at his nipples when asked to impersonate Christina Aguilera, and a girl who insisted in putting a necktag on from the feet up.

It’s bloody good fun. My only regret is not having the courage to go up on stage and see if I could be hypnotised.

Andre the Hilarious Hypnotist is at the university’s Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 24 July to 17 August. If you’ve never been before, you must see the show.

Otherwise, I got a raise yesterday. In the words of Heroes’ Hiro, “Yahooooo!” I’m very happy. It’s been a rather expensive past few months, with car repairs, birthdays and a new set of peripherals for my home PC. My parents finally bought a new computer for themselves last week and reclaimed the PC speakers for themselves, so I “upgraded” to a Logitech X-230 set with subwoofer. And in the process, gadget boy Paul convinced me to make the leap to a laser mouse and fancy multimedia keyboard (also both Logitech). Hmmm, I must remember to post up some pics of my new and improved workspace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!