The Weekend

Phew, well I was certainly glad it was payday on Friday. For one thing birthday season is coming up, with the birthdays of Paul, assorted members of my and his family, as well as various friends all lined up. This last week I did some online shopping to make a dent in the present buying – and at the same time treated myself to some DVD specials… and my own kettlebell weights, which should be arriving in 4 weeks or so.

Anyway, my calendar has something on every weekend until at least mid July. This coming Saturday is the big Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament at Gateway, and I’m starting to get nervous. Especially since I couldn’t practice at all last week with my bad head cold.

Losing on points isn’t really a worry – rather I’m more concerned about the possibility of being embarrassingly outclassed by a superior opponent and quickly submitted during the 5 minute round. I mean, who wants to get their ass handed to them in public with dozens of spectators watching?

As for this last weekend, there was a surprisingly amount of partying in it. On Friday evening we headed down to the Royal Natal Yacht Club for a friend, Carl’s 25th birthday party. We gorged ourselves on lamb on the spit, bread rolls and salads and then attempted to discover just how much Credence Clearwater Revival one person can dance to on a single evening. Here’s myself, Paul and our friend, Kirsten.


On Saturday afternoon we went up to Pietermaritzburg for the wedding of Paul’s cousin. Judging by her brother-in-laws I can’t say she’s marrying into the finest gene pool, but the ceremony and reception was intimate and pleasant. But with the fragile, 80+ grandparents there, we ended up leaving early – around 8pm, just as the after-dinner dancing was starting.

I haven’t played video games in ages, but on Sunday we eschewed electronic gaming for some serious boardgaming instead. After breakfast at the Wood Rose at the Hillcrest Heritage Market, we headed to Tim’s place for a standard 6 hour game of fantasy questing in Runebound –I was extremely annoyed when a bad diplomacy roll cost me my strongest ally, especially since it took forever to accumulate enough gold to purchase him.

After that game we played the strategic, empire-building Tigris & Euphrates before heading back home, for the last hour or so left of the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!