Weekend Plans

Yay! The Take2 order that I made at the end of last month arrived yesterday. Included in it is a hardcover copy of Frank Miller’s Eisner Award winning graphic novel 300 (which I’ll get to after finishing The Watchmen), DVD Season 3-4 of ‘Allo ‘Allo for Paul (either as a Christmas present or late anniversary / peace-making gift), and a DVD of Return to Oz.

This last purchase is significant because when I was about 5 or so I was obsessed with this sequel to The Wizard of Oz, starring a very young Fairuza Balk. In fact, I got into a bit of trouble in pre-school because of my obsession, which had me painting plenty of pictures of The Wheelers, crazy, limbless people who pursue Dorothy in the dark sequel. My report card stated that I had an obsession with darkness, wizards, witches… and sharks.

I’m really looking forward to watching the film this weekend. I just hope it won’t shatter my fond childhood memories.


Plot Summary
Dorothy, back in Kansas, can't stop thinking about Oz, and even believes that her friends have sent her a key. Auntie Em, worried for Dorothy's health, takes her to a famous doctor who works miracles with electricity. When Dorothy escapes from the treatment, she and a chicken named Billina find themselves in Oz. But when Dorothy tries to find her old friends in the Emerald City, she learns that they've all been transformed by the Nome King. And the evil witch Mombie wants Dorothy's head. It's up to Dorothy, Billina, and their new friends, the clockwork Tik-Tok (aka the royal army of Oz), Jack Pumpkinhead, and a Gump-thing to defeat Mombie and the Nome King and restore the rightful ruler of Oz to her throne.



Anyway, in terms of other plans for the weekend, the only definite is that I need to finish my next GEAR column, due on Monday. I’d also like to finish sketching my next Girlz ‘N’ Games, and continue reading The Watchmen. I should also probably start working on some kind of DVD tribute for my mother, seeing as her 50th birthday (and big party) is now just 2 weeks away.

Comments

Dante said…
I get my comics and graphic novels from cosmic comics. U order today and get your stuff later in the week. I can mail you their number if you want?
Wasp Jerky said…
I saw Return to Oz for the first time a year or two ago. I liked it very much, maybe even better than the original film. Return seems a lot truer to the spirit and tone of the original books. Incidentally, there used to be a comics series about the characters from Oz as well.
Pfangirl said…
Thanks for the comment, Wasp Jerky. The early 1980s was a fantastic period for dark fantasy. I don't think film makers back then were under as much pressure to sugar or sanitise things to suit the social mood.

I must really reread the Oz books again.. well, at least the first 3 or so. I think there ended up being well over 10.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!