This Weekend

As with Sunday, Friday evening was consumed with playing Titan Quest multiplayer with Paul. My battlemage Gothicus is now Level 26+ and has 2 parts of the Egyptian-style Ramses’ Royal Armour set. The following is what Gothicus will look like if/when the set is completed:


On Saturday, after a brief shopping excursion to the Pavillion, Paul was doing some programming work so I lay out in the sun and finally finished Volumes 3 and 4 of The Goon.

I’ve mentioned the award-winning Dark Horse comic series before – Depression era gangsters meet zombies and other creatures of darkness. Finally in the Volume 3 and Volume 4 collections, the rough and silly edges are filed away and the series finally ‘works’ in all aspects. Sometimes, surprisingly, it’s even quite emotionally resonant.




This is the descriptor text for The Goon Vol 4:

Giant man-eating eyeballs from another dimension, mad scientists, rampaging killer robots, and the Ghost of Christmas Past-nothing out of the ordinary in the world of the Goon. Come take a traipse down Lonely Street with Goon and his pals as they defend their burg from all manner of monstrous disasters and ghouls in The Goon: Virtue and the Grim Consequences Thereof.

This volume collects five magically dark and delightfully hilarious tales of chaos and daring-do, following the exploits of the man known only as The Goon as he fights his way through a horde of killer robots and even creatures from another dimension to help save his sometimes friend and ally Dr. Hieronymous Alloy from a mysterious disease. But there are plenty of bumps along the way, ultimately landing the Goon in Cade's Island Penitentiary, proving once more that no good deed goes unpunished. Collecting issues #9-#13 of the bimonthly Goon series.


For any South Africans interested in getting hold of The Goon Volumes 0 – 4, you can buy them through Take 2.

Anyway, on Saturday evening, Robin and Warren came over and after home made pizzas, we played the boardgame Settlers of Catan (the Seafarers Expansion). Settlers of Catan really remains my favourite ever boardgame. I would recommend it to anyone, anytime, because trade keeps you engaged for the entire game and you are never eliminated. Anyway, despite some last minute ganging up to stop me, by stripping me of my 2-points Longest Road, I managed a victory.



On Sunday, Paul and I played some more Titan Quest and in the afternoon I did some admin type tasks like filling in my Journal for the weekend and wrapping Kate’s birthday present. I also watched the trailer for Portal, a puzzle game from Valve that is supposed to be shipping with Half-Life 2 Episode 2 in early 2007. It looks absolutely amazing, even if it’s guaranteed to have you motion sick and confused inside of 5 minutes!



Anyway, I rounded off the weekend falling asleep during the Sunday night movie. I would have preferred to end the evening in a good mood but I had a big fight with my sister. Her stressed over-emotionalism clashed with my lack of patience when, as soon as I walked through the door, and before I’d even had dinner, she wanted help with rewording a psychology project proposal (while hogging my room and PC, BTW).

Of course, our fight plunged my mother into a foul mood, and everyone has been moping around in silence ever since. I didn’t sleep well as a result, and plan to spend this evening (when I’m back from Jiu-Jitsu) just chilling in my room, watching Rome, reading The Watchmen and having an early night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!