Plans for the weekend

It’s a long weekend in South Africa, with a Public Holiday on Monday. Thank God for that because I really need a break from the monotonous 5-day work routine. More than that, I need to get away for a complete break. It seems that everyone has been doing that in the past few months except me… and I think it’s rightfully my turn.

Except… leaving it to Paul, we’ll just end up camping in the Berg again (where he’s totally anal retentive about his camping equipment and doing anything in the rain). At the moment, however, I’ll settle for anything.


Anyway, I’m not going away this weekend. As of 6am this morning my aunt’s contractions were 10 minutes apart, so chances are that this evening we’ll be heading down to Westville Hospital to see my little cousin (my first, ever) for the first time.

Other than that there’s a special on off-road bicycles at Game so I’ll be taking a look before Sunday with Paul. The big thing here is that I feel comfortable in the seat, and am able to have both my feet touching the ground. Otherwise, every dismount is an inevitable leap and fall sideways.

Paul’s company has a stall at a small business expo in Durban so I suppose I’ll be ending up there for a while. Although, I’ll be trying my hardest to escape that waste of time seeing as I pretty much have to finish my mother’s photo montage tribute this weekend.

Otherwise I’d like to just relax and continue reading Watchmen. And I think I’ll be able to organise a blog update for Monday, even if it is just a copy-paste of my big feature article in the September GEAR. So my regular blog visitors will have something to read.

Other than that, I’m curious if anyone has this same problem as me?

I come home after a day at work and find my sister on my PC working on her psychology projects, her papers scattered around my room. All I want to do is have a little while to sit in my personal space, with the door closed, just chilling and regaining my non-work self (if that makes sense). But there my sister sits and sits and sits until I’m irritable and tell her rather less politely to leave and go work on her own old computer upstairs.

Of course, then I’m the unreasonable bitch and my whole family thinks I’m in a foul mood for the rest of the evening. So they avoid me. The result is that next morning, as I’m gearing myself up mentally for the rush hour commute, I’m inundated with requests, or ‘helpful suggestions’ that normally involve finding documents or asking for money (I can be misery when parting with cash for mundane things).

Now I know my family is trying to be helpful, but thinking that I’m in a bad mood and walking on eggshells around me, procrastinating over making requests until the last moment, just annoys the crap out of me…

That really does put me in a bad mood.

Comments

Unknown said…
I have to say, that never happens to me. My room is my cave, and those who dare to venture into it uninvited will exit is swiftly with a foot up their bum.

It comes with having a family Nelly...
Shirley said…
She is doing a psychology degree and cant understand the concept of personal space??
Firefly said…
That's why we've got BTFs: Better Than Family. :) What I want to know is why your sister was on your computer when she has her own?
Pfangirl said…
Ah, but you see, hers is a budget computer put together from old spare parts pretty much just for typing.

Mine is obviously more appealing... with a TV tuner card and MP3s so she can be entertained while working. Plus, it's connected to the printer.

I'm just waiting for the 10 year old family PC to finally conk in so my parents are forced to get a new machine for household as a whole. Then my PC will finally be left alone.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!