Weekend pop bites

And we're back again... from 2 days of trying to cram in everything I want to do, to 5 days of getting up at 6am so I can stare wistfully out the office window at fresh air and sunshine for 10 hours. Ho hum. I need my holiday now - not in 2 and a bit months' time.

Friday

I actually can't remember what I did on Friday evening. I know that I worked a bit more on the latest Girlz 'N' Games comic (which I'm hoping to have online tomorrow), and definitely didn't play any World of WarCraft. The most I can think is that I dozed off on the couch watching the James Bond movie festival.

Friday and Saturday evening continued the run of Roger Moore movies, which easily mark a low point in the 007 series. And you know you've hit rock bottom when you can start describing Bond films as "the one where they have laser fights in wetsuits in outer space" (Moonraker), and "the one where the Fabrege Egg-loving villain has a river barge rowed by hot female circus performers" (Octopussy).


Most people reject the 2 Timothy Dalton Bond films (The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill) that came after the Moore monstrosities but people seem to forget how these films, like the recent Daniel Craig reboot, sought to cut out the ridiculous gadget crap and make the films grittier and bloodier. Bond also transformed from a smirking playboy into an ice-cold killing machine... again, not unlike the new Craig Bond.

Perhaps the biggest problem with the Dalton 007 films was the timing of their release - perhaps audiences in the late 1980s weren't ready for a badass Bond?


Anyway...

Saturday

Saturday started with a much needed gym session. As of tomorrow I'm trying to get back into a bi-weekly, early morning workout to supplement my twice weekly Jiu-Jitsu classes. I really need to work on my stamina and strength.

In the late afternoon friends came over for a few rounds of the World of WarCraft trading card game (which I suck at), followed by our weekly Dungeons & Dragons session. Disturbingly, the warrior queen we serve is now going to be taking the battle to the planar beings threatening the Empire. With all the Empire's armies merged into one massive fighting force we're looking at a future war of Lord of the Rings proportions.

At least my goodie-two-shoes paladin is going to be receiving training as a dragon rider, seeing as he doesn't have any secretive personal story arcs the other players do.


On Saturday I also made good progress with my reading of the comedic text, The Alphabet of Manliness, from Maddox, the owner of the Best Page in the Universe. If you aren't a fan of the site I'd suggest staying far away from the book, but if you're a devoted follower of Maddox's disdainful online writing, with its over-the-top machismo and misogyny, you should check out Alphabet, which is a breezy, fun read. Some on the entries seem a bit tame in comparison to some of the online content, but other entries are way wilder than anything that's appeared on the Net.

Sunday

Sunday involved a bit of World of WarCraft, a failed shoe shopping expedition, a home prepared fish meal (whole grilled Yellowtail) that ended up too dry for my tastes, the novel experience of eating at the Cacao Chocolate Bar in Gateway (the croissants are good value for money, but I'd advise sharing a chocolatey drink because at R20-R26 they're a rip-off)... and, of course, the usual mood plunge as the weekend drew to a close.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!