Weekend wrap-up

The first half of the weekend was a bit of a write-off.

A severe sinus attack, or cold (I haven’t worked out which one it was yet) struck me on Thursday evening and I felt pretty miserable on Friday, to the point that when I got home from work I just curled up in bed and watched DVDs all evening.

After my little rant about the tired “Chosen One” storyline on Friday, I managed to get a little related theme going in terms of my viewing – Instead of films focused on the Chosen One, I watched 2 movies centred on the Chosen One’s Mom: The Nativity Story and The Terminator.

The Nativity Story was pretty vanilla, but I wasn’t really expecting anything more. It’s wholesome family fare, a kind of Anti-The Passion of the Christ, and I did appreciate it’s highly authentic look at life in Ancient Israel. The first Terminator meanwhile is also a fantastic depiction of an era: from the outfits and perms, to the dated special effects to the cheesy dialogue (“I came across time for you Sarah. I love you; I always have.” ) and out-of-the-blue sex scenes so brilliantly spoofed in Team America. I love it.

Speaking of Jesus and the Terminator, together, I don’t know if you’ve ever seen this hilarious, but highly irreverent clip:



Anyway, I was feeling a bit better on Saturday but I wasn’t quite up for heading out to the Durban Airshow (the second oldest civilian airshow in the world) to spend the whole day sitting under cold rainy skies. I headed out instead to pick up my new pair of glasses (my first in 10 years, to give my eyes a break from contacts) and played some World of WarCraft.

My 2 year old cousin was visiting at the time and he was fascinated by the bright colours and my warlock’s horse mount. We may just have a future gamer in the family!

Saturday evening I finally got to spend some time with the bf, who had been at the airshow all day. We just chilled, and started making our way through a Season 1-3 box set of American Dad! Ah, I remember when they showed the pilot episode on MNET Open Time and then promptly yanked the series. Gotta love South African prejudice against adult animation.

On Sunday we headed off to the early show of Wall-E, which immediately leapt onto my personal Top Films of 2008 list. Very touching, with a refreshing amount of heart. You can expect my full review soon.


Afterwards, my plans for picking up my camera fell apart when A) the really informative salesman was AWOL and replaced by a completely indifferent girl, and B) the camera I wanted was out of stock, and, frankly, I wasn’t keen to fork out for the much thumbed, grubby demo model.

I actually did end up making it to the Airshow after all in the afternoon. The bf was unhappy with some of the photos he had taken on Saturday so we headed back there in much more pleasant weather. Apart from not having the Mirage fighter jet there, and entry costing R50 less, Sunday was no different from Saturday. The highlight really was the appearance of the Rooivalk attack chopper, the first time it’s been at the Airshow in 8 years.

And that was the weekend, pretty much.

Comments

MJenks said…
Is it South Africa's prejudice against Adult Animation, or South Africa's prejudice against really crappy, unfunny cartoons?

The attack helicoptor looks pretty cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!