Weekend round-up

I didn’t do much pop culture consumption this weekend. There was a bit of World of WarCraft game playing on Friday and Sunday evening, as well as some rewatching of Family Guy Season 2, and American Dad! Season 1, but that was about it.

I was up early on Saturday for the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Africa Cup at Gateway. It was a much smaller competition this year than last time, and we had to finish up relatively early so the IMAX upstairs foyer could be decorated for a post-Durban July function.

Anyway, I won the Bronze Medal in the Ladies' Category.

In my first fight, I was choked from within my guard – which frankly I wasn’t expecting at all. With hindsight (yes, that annoying thing) I probably could have tried some kind of counter-technique but at the time I just couldn’t leverage my much taller opponent away and my need to breathe (she had her full weight on my wonky, moveable windpipe) actually outweighed any sensible thought.


It’s frustrating/embarrassing to be defeated in a “superior” position though, and by an opponent who didn’t demonstrate any great technical knowledge.

I won the fight for 3rd place pretty easily though.



"Nothing like a bit of girl on girl" - PC Doris Thatcher, Hot Fuzz


On Saturday evening we played our rescheduled weekly Dungeons & Dragons session. At some point my exhaustion caught up on me and I passed out on the couch, with SABC3’s James Bond movie festival blaring in the background. We did manage to finish our latest quest line though.

Sunday was a more relaxed day. We were in the mood for baking and cooking and ended up overdoing it a little considering there are only currently 2 of us to eat our creations. We ended up making banana bread, muffins, mielie meal bread and ham quiche.

We briefly popped out to the Pavilion on Sunday afternoon to do some grocery shopping, and in the process, while doing some digital camera research at PhotoWorld, I found my perfect camera. I’ve never actually owned one before (usually I just borrow someone else’s), but this Panasonic meets all my feature and size needs, as well as my budget. I’m hoping to pick it up next Sunday.

Well, that was the weekend… and I can see the rest of the month being pretty quiet, if only because July is turning out to be another expensive month – with car services, new contact lenses, the Airshow next weekend (the boyfriend is a plane fanatic so our attendance is non-negotiable) and assorted other expenses.

Once again I’ll have to break my personal money management rules and dip into my “Do not touch except for special occasions” savings just to make it through the month. So it looks like I’m going to have to skip Madame Zingara, which I really wanted to see, and reign in any out-of-home activities.

Ho hum, crappy economic times...

Comments

Dante said…
No! You can't make the lesbian joke. That is totally my thing. You went against tradition. :(

Congrats on the bronze though. Great stuff!
Pfangirl said…
Thanks, Dante :)

I just couldn't resist using that line from Hot Fuzz... man, I love that movie.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!