Holmes is where the heat is...

Ah, Hollywood... when studio execs latch onto a idea, everyone, even rival studios, wants a share of the action; a hefty chunk of the profits pie!

That's why, circa 2010, we can look forward to 2 films, from Columbia Pictures, and Warner Bros. respectively, that mark the return of one of the most iconic fictional characters of all time, Sherlock Holmes.


----------

Columbia's Sherlock Holmes was announced last week, and in a genius casting decision - the first movie announcement in a long time to genuinely excite me - the film will reteam Sascha (Borat, Ali G) Baron Cohen, with Will (Ron Burgundy) Ferrell.

In this comedic spin on the British detective, Cohen will play Sherlock Holmes and Ferrell his mystery-solving sidekick, Dr Watson. Fans of both actors will remember that they have already faced off - and locked lips - to hilarious effect in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

I really have high hopes for this take on Sherlock Holmes, which, to my knowledge, will be the first high profile film since 1988's Without A Clue (starring Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley) to adopt a "spoof" approach to Baker Street's most famous inhabitant.


----------

As for Warner Bros' Sherlock Holmes, I actually blogged about the project last year, when it was first announced.

Basically this Sherlock Holmes will be based on the upcoming comic by Lionel Wigram, which apparently "reinvents" the gentleman detective as more of an adventurous man of action, fully capable of using his skills as a boxer and swordsman.

The big news of last month was that this Sherlock Holmes has found a director - Guy Richie, the man responsible for instantly classic English crime capers, Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

It's an unusual but excellent choice as far as I'm concerned. A smart-talking, visually exciting, Victorian Era crime movie should be great entertainment. Here's hoping that Richie film veterans, Vinnie Jones and Jason Statham make cameo appearances in this film as well.

Comments

Alex Lawton said…
I just found your blog by chance, not even sure how. Besides the point, I find your views and posts not only informative and straight to the point, but unqiue. So unique infact I'm looking for an rss feed now so I can hopefuly stay in tune :).

-Alex
Pfangirl said…
Hey Alex, thanks for the kind words. Glad that you enjoy the blog.

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to RSS feeds and that kind of stuff so I'm afraid I'm not much help there. I think Blogger has something related built in but I'm not sure.
Alex Lawton said…
Not a problem! I think its worth me bookmarking and checking daily for updates :) I enjoy it!

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!