Trailer Tuesday: The Dark Knight



As promised, the first Trailer Tuesday slot of 2008 goes to The Dark Knight, the sequel to the franchise rejuvenating Batman Begins.

Honestly, watching the trailer above, my opinion of Christopher Nolan's Batman hasn't really changed. This said, I'm sure I'm in the minority group - other people/Bat fans in my blogging circle are already proclaiming their unending devotion to The Dark Knight.


The vast majority of people seem to be drooling in anticipation for Heath Ledger's new take on the iconic Joker. However, I don't see any evidence in the trailer of Ledger's Joker (an anarchist in badly smeared emo make-up) being any less over-the-top than Jack Nicholson in the original Batman. There's even an almost exact copy of the Joker-Batman face off from 1989, with Bats unable to kill the gun-toting Joker despite his technological superiority (in 1989 the Dark Knight was in the Batplane; in 2008 he's on the Batcycle/Batpod).

Besides, the whole point of Batman Begins was to return the series focus to the grim, driven hero. It would be a pity if the villains (Two Face also pops up this time, with rumours of a Scarecrow return too) stole the limelight from Bruce Wayne and his complicated personal mission in The Dark Knight.


Still, I do like the idea that The Dark Knight will explore the concept that masked vigilantes in tights do "change things". Their presence serves as a magnet for assorted colourful crazies who suddenly feel justified in leaping out of the closet where they've been lurking. Despite acting as a protector, the simple matter of Batman's presence puts the people of Gotham City at an even greater risk.

So I suppose in the end you could say I'm very cautiously optimistic about The Dark Knight - which opens worldwide in mid July.

Comments

Dante said…
I want this movie to have my children :p

Honestly though, I can't see how you can't be excited about this? Heath Ledger's Joker is going to be brilliant. In the beginning I shook my head in shame but after seeing the trailer and reading up on it I was convinced. Christopher Nolan did something to the Batman franchise which few people could have done. He made it a success. I am all for Tim Burton's Batman too. I loved the first two movies. I love seeing my hero on the big screen. Just without rubber nipples. :p

Plus you have to agree, the movie was better than Superman Returns.
Dante said…
O and welcome back. I missed trailer tuesday. :D Hope you had a great two weeks, and all of the best for 2008. ;)


P.S that is the first pic of Two Face I have seen. Thanks
Pfangirl said…
Oh, it definitely was better than Superman Returns, although I personally didn't hate that film with as much passion as some people...

Anyway, I honestly think that was the first Two-Face pic I've seen myself. I found it on my favourite movie pic site, Movieweb.com. You can check out their full collection of Dark Knight pics and posters here:

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/81/4381/photos.php

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!