The public holiday

Well, what did I get up to on my day off?

Apart from gyming and watching the first 4 episodes of Family Guy Season 5, I scanned in and coloured (minus shading) a ‘Fatherhood’ themed illustration for my sister. Post-grad Psychology student that she is, she’s working on the Fatherhood Project, a research/educational project spearheaded by the University of Natal to try and re-establish the social importance of fatherhood.


The concept isn’t mine, but the original on which it is based, was too small to use, so I just duplicated it in my drawing style.

Anyway, Paul was quite literally on cloud 9 in the morning, having been invited to go on a work-related helicopter trip along the Natal coastline. In the process of jumping on and off the helicopter he took some awesome pics, including this aerial shot of Durban.


On Shirley’s blog there are many more pics of the recent storm and tide damage that flattened Durban’s beachfront, but here’s one that Paul took of the Bluff area, between Ansteys and Brighton Beach I think. The paddling pools were filled with sand, and a portion of the lifeguard station/change rooms has fallen down the bank. And if you look in the top right corner of the image you can see how half the road has collapsed.


While Paul was flying about, I babysat my little cousin and then headed to the Pav with my mother to do some errands and grocery shopping for the weekend’s camping trip. After years of using the family’s communal light summer sleeping bag, I bought my first ever heavy-duty, ‘proper’ sleeping bag from Cape Union Mart – The K-Way Ascend Cowl, for winter camping and cold weather adventures. It's not quite suitable for climbing Everest or plonking yourself down in the Antartic, but with protection against anything down to -6°C temperatures, it'll be a handy thing to have wherever I traipse in the world.

In the evening Paul and I ended up missing planned movies with Kate – Paul got back late from trauma counselling in Hillcrest, and we had to assemble all the supplies for our trip. We also had to dodge parents trying to throw R1200 worth of accommodation at us. This I find highly embarrassing, and frustrating since I'm 25, with a full-time, good-paying job (I'm not a struggling student anymore), and trying to establish my own sense of independence.

Anyway, I was intending to have an early night, but then I got caught up in levelling my new Titan Quest: Immortal Throne character (a level 14 pure Dream Master), and writing a music CD for the car trip this evening. It's so difficult trying to compile alternate music to please everyone.

Comments

Team America said…
I WENT ON A HELICOPTER

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!