Crazy weeks and weekends

Phew, it’s been a crazy few weeks. It seems like I’ve had something on every single evening. Last night was the first evening of chill time I’ve had all week, to get through some things on my have-to-do and I-want-to-do lists. Needless to say the I-want-to-do list was the ultimate winner.

I watched the Batman Superman Movie last night. Ignore the crappy box art. I was actually pretty impressed by this meeting of the Animated Series Caped Crusader and Man of Steel.


With Batman cracking down on all of The Joker’s businesses in Gotham, the bankrupt Clown Prince of Crime (with Harley Quinn in tow) relocates to Metropolis, offering to kill Superman for $1 billion. Lex Luthor, naturally, jumps at the offer. The Joker’s presence brings Batman to Metropolis as well, and when his playboy alter ego Bruce Wayne starts making moves on Lois Lane, it pits the Dark Knight against Superman at a time when they should really be working together.

What I was most surprised about was the maturity of film. Apart from some blatant sexual references to the Joker ha-haing with Harley Quinn, Bruce Wayne is an all out stud in this one. In most comics and film, Wayne’s playboy persona is an act, but here he devotes as much time to pleasure as to work. But you can understand why Lois Lane would fall for him. Mmm mmm mmm.


It also reminded me that I still have Volume 1 of Superman: The Animated Series to work through. From what I remember, it was one of the finest interpretations of Supes to date, stripping out the wholesome dorkiness and featuring a fantastic Lois Lane.

Last night, I also finally finished Volume 3 of The Sandman (easily the best of the series so far, consisting of several single issue storylines, that relegate Morpheus to a supporting role).

I also restarted God Of War, but with a 2 second delay between the onscreen action and controller response (my PS2 is plugged into my PC so I can use the monitor), it makes things exceptionally tough. I couldn’t use my special abilities in a boss battle, and it ended up taking me something like 15 minutes. Epic stuff. Still, there is nothing quite as gratifying as grabbing a harpy out of thin air, pinning it under your foot and ripping its wings off with your bare hands.


I’m thinking though of playing No One Lives Forever 2, next time I’m in a gaming mood. It’s one of those acclaimed classics that I’ve been meaning to play for ages, especially since it’s one of the few games with an exceptionally positive female lead character (fashion-conscious secret agent Cate Archer), as well as a healthy sense of humour – it spoofs 1960’s 007 spy thrillers.

Anyway, in terms of plans for this weekend, things are pretty quiet. Paul and I have plans for boardgames with our usual boardgaming partners on Saturday evening. On Saturday day, we’ll be up at the farm. Paul will be doing tech support. I will be lying in the sun reading and sleeping, or attempting something marginally more constructive. Normally the farm just saps my will to live. On Sunday Paul’s back up to the farm to continue network installation. I haven’t decided yet what I’ll be doing – probably back ups and clearing things off my to-do list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!