Not a good end to the week

It all started last night when a severe thunderstorm struck Durban. I’m talking massively destructive, and centred directly overhead – like the storm in Poltergeist.

The downpour was so heavy it actually got in through the roof and started running into my room from the ceiling… directly towards all my electronics – PC and PS2. Fortunately, because of the power dips I had unplugged everything already, but then I had to move everything to the other side of the room, and check that nothing more than some wires had got wet.

This morning there was storm damage everywhere – traffic lights out, broken branches on the road and mud slicks from collapsed banks.

But this is nothing. This morning at 4am a group of men broke into Paul’s house. I have yet to hear the full details, but these bastards threw a brick through a window, jumped in and stormed through the house. Paul’s family managed to cluster together, in the midst of the robbers yelling ‘Shoot, shoot’. I think it was something of a smash and grab style robbery because I haven’t heard what was taken other than Paul’s wallet, cellphone and laptop. The bastards fled after that. Needless to say that the family is in shock and no one is going to work today.

When I heard the news this morning adrenaline flooded my system. I actually started trembling.

Criminals in South Africa are their own unique breed. Robberies like this are the prime example of how utterly brazen they are. And this is nothing. In recent news articles on home robberies, these bastards don’t just take things – they deliberately demean, rape, torture (pouring boiling water on people). They shoot first. A popular journalist was recently shot in his home by a burglar who only took his wife’s purse.

They are scum.

I maintain: I will leave South Africa because of crime. I have no other reason. And the next 5 years is the time to relocate forever. Every so often I get frustrated that at the moment I seem to exist in a state of perpetual limbo – still living at home, not investing in property. But then I think, ‘Hey, look how easy it is for me to just get up and leave.’

Anyway, the drama doesn’t end there. This morning I decided to park in one of the empty office parking bays. I was so busy focusing on the security guard directing me that I reversed into a tree, smashing my back driver’s side indicator/brake light. I think the bulbs are still functional, and there is no body damage to the car, but it’s an inconvenience nonetheless.

So, yeah, today is definitely not a case of ‘Yay, yay, it’s Friday.’

Comments

Lord Spaceman said…
Wow, you're not having a good day at all.

That storm was crazy! Durbz has had storms/rain for the past 3 nights. The rain was so heavy, I thought my roof was gonna collapse! All I kept thinking about was my electronics.

Noelle, I know your anger - It happened to my dad a few weeks back. Lucky nobody was hurt. I feel scumbags like that deserve to die and then pissed on. Sadly, crime will also be the only reason I leave beautiful SA.
Anonymous said…
That is horrible! I can only imagine what a terrible experience that must have been for Paul and his family. It sounds very scary especially how the robbers were shouting "shoot". I hope that the bastards get caught. Somehow.

I also hope you're doing okay because for that to happen to someone you care about must be awful. Sorry, I'm not really helping but I just wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts...

By the way this is Nicole from In the Pond. Just wanted to let you know so that my comment doesn't seem completely random. :)
OldEnough said…
one more good reason to actually be a vampire.
Pfangirl said…
Hey guys, thanks to everyone for your comments.

It does actually help to know that there are people out there who are thinking about you, and share your feelings of shock... and outrage.

It's going to take some time to move on, and hopefully do so in a better direction.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!