A weekend of ancients and other things

Friday

By Friday evening when I got home, my cold/flu was well and truly entrenched in my body. I just curled up in bed until Paul arrived and we began the process of making pizzas from scratch – including making the dough. Although I couldn’t taste the end results, this is what we produced (looks good, doesn’t it):





Afterwards we watched the HBO Chris Rock stand-up comedy special I’d recorded to my hard drive the other week, and dozed off.

Saturday

On Saturday we headed down to Paul’s place for his grandmother’s 80th birthday celebration. Basically it was a big lunch with the whole family. I managed to taste flashes of the chicken liver pate and toast starter, the roast lamb and veggies main, and the dessert combo of strawberries and cream, mint-caramel pudding and pecan nut tartlets.

Of course what would be a day at the Redheads without drama? Once again it came courtesy of the grandparents upstairs. Paul’s 88 year old grandfather sat down on the toilet and could not get up again on his spindly, atrophied legs. Paul and his father had to help him up because obviously his 86 year old trembly grandmother couldn’t do it.

Ugh, in many ways I don’t want to get ancient, weak and utterly dependent like that. I don’t know what Granny B (the birthday girl) felt about it because she’s far closer to that age, and she’s still very much an independent, lively lady- living on her own, walking on the beachfront everyday, doing all kinds of hobbies.

Continuing to be physically and mentally active must really be the secret to looking and staying young.

Sunday

On Sunday I was feeling pretty faint, and weak on my legs, in the morning. I pretty much spent the whole day sitting quietly in front of the PC, playing Titan Quest multiplayer with Paul. I’ve now taken my multiplayer character, a battle mage called Gothicus, to Level 17. Together we’ve accumulated a number of unique or special items so we’re packing quite a punch as a team.

In the evening we skipped the MNET movie for some Season 4 episodes of The Family Guy and Batman: The Animated Series. Although it’s in a very crap timeslot, HBO’s Rome started on Sunday evening as well. I only caught bits and pieces as I was getting ready for bed (I taped the premiere episode), but it looks great – big budget prettiness and authenticity meets graphic violence and sex.



Just as Deadwood reinvented the TV Western, Rome (which deals with the rise and fall of Julius Caesar) proves that ancient history can make for some gripping TV drama. Like Deadwood, though, it might be something of an acquired taste for people open to niche entertainment genres.

Comments

Stacey said…
Those pizzas look yummy. Nothing beats home made pizza with home made dough and loads of cheese ..... I'm starting to drool ......
Dante said…
Those pizza's are huge. Sign me up

I think i saw that same chris rockk show about a week ago. That guy is funny as hell.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!