Entertainment updates

Hmm, let's see...

The Film Experience points out that there are some new little thumbnail pics from Michelle Pfeiffer's next film, the romantic comedy I Could Never Be Your Woman right here.


I Could Never Be Your Woman is set for North American release in March.

The first Pirates of the Caribbean 3 high-res pics are online at ComingSoon.net. Looks like going to the 'end of the world' is giving things a more Eastern feel. Hopefully they reign this one in at around 2 hours so I won't fall asleep in the cinema again.


And this isn't exactly super-fresh news, but I learnt recently that director Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Blade 2, Pan's Labyrinth) is adapting Roald Dahl's The Witches. This would be the second time The Witches is being made into a film, with an awesome 1990 adaptation starring Angelica ("Veetches off Inkland!") Huston and Rowan Atkinson.


Apparently it's del Toro's mission to give his version the book's original darker ending, although in the 1990 film's defence, apart from the sacharine conclusion, it was pretty dark in tone - I'll never forget the creepy scene where a little girl is pulled into a barn by a witch and is then imprisoned forever in a painting.

I'm strongly of the opinion that Roald Dahl is the author with the best track-record of faithful, good novel-to-film adaptations: 2 x Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Witches, Danny de Vito's charming Matilda, the stop-motion James and the Giant Peach and 2 British productions of The BFG and Danny, Champion of the World. And apparently The Fantastic Mr Fox is on the way as well (in 2008), which I've always felt deserved a big screen animated or CGI-animal (Babe/Charlotte's Web) treatment.


---

In totally unrelated news, every family has their Christmas traditions. In my household we follow the 10-days-before-10-days-after rule in terms of our Christmas tree and decorations. My parents are away for the whole of next week so we're putting everything up this evening (a day early, at 11 days before Christmas) so they get to appreciate the festivity for a little longer. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I didn't find Dead Man's Chest's 2.5 hours to be a problem, infact I saw it twice and loved it even more the second time around! :P
Pfangirl said…
Ugh, I found it definitely too long by half an hour, seeing how it was even more repetitive than the original.

Watching the late show, by the time the kraken attacked, I was microsleeping.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!