Trailer Tuesday: The Twilight Saga - New Moon



I'm not a Twilight junkie. I have Stephenie Meyer's first Twilight book on my bedside table but I've yet to force myself to open it. I haven't seen the first film either, despite a certain amount of morbid curiosity, and despite profiling it as part of this blog's Trailer Tuesday feature.

The thing is, if I thought the original trailer was mediocre and derivative, this brand new teaser for Twilight sequel New Moon is weirdly awful. The basic plot points are outlined: after a birthday party for Bella (Kristen Stewart) goes horribly wrong - she cuts herself and triggers a vampire's blood frenzy - her undead lover Edward (Robert Pattinson) decides to protect her once and for all by leaving. Depressed, alone and in danger, Bella seeks comfort with close friend Jacob Black, who just so happens to belong to a clan of werewolves. You know, as these things happen...

The only bright spot in the whole trailer is a hunky, shirtless Taylor Lautner (as Jacob Black) who is waaay hotter than pasty, freak-foreheaded Robert Pattinson. And even then, this young stud transforms into the lousiest werewolf ever depicted onscreen. I mean, he looks like an overgrown fox!


New Moon was rushed into production after the massive success of Twilight at the end of last year. Pretty much a borderline indie production, the first film was made for just $37 million, and has taken in over $382 million in worldwide box office (excluding DVD sales). This accelerated production time meant that Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke had to bow out of the film, as its tight schedule wouldn't give her the "prep time" she needed to make her vision a reality. Replacing her at the film's helm is another workman director, Chris Weitz, who was responsible for The Golden Compass and About a Boy novel-to-film adaptations.

The change of director doesn't bother me at all. However, I'm personally of the opinion that pumping out a sequel within 12 months of the original is never a good thing. Results can be very, very sloppy. But, of course, my opinion means little on this matter. You know that regardless of its quality New Moon will be a massive, squee-inducing hit among pubescent girls and sponge-brained women the world over.


The Twilight Saga: New Moon is set for release on 20 November in the US. Currently it is due to open in South Africa a week later, on 27 November.

Comments

alexpapa said…
hey please check out www.oldtakkiesindaba.com

your blog caught my eye as someone who grew up in the 80's in South Africa, and I would definitely like to find out if you would have some interest in contributing as a writer.

take a look, let me know

Alex
MJenks said…
Does he look worse than Remus Lupin in werewolf form? Because, seriously, that was some bad CGI/artwork at the end of Azkaban.
Pfangirl said…
Well, MJenks, the Twilight dude looks like a big CGI wolf; nothing remotely human-ish about him, which is what I expect of my movie werewolves.

And yeah, I wasn't a fan of the werewolf treatment in Harry Potter 3. Very unimpressive. Which means I have little hope for the werewolves in the coming 3 films being as powerful and menacing as they should be.

Alex, thanks for pointing out your website. I'm definitely interested and I'll drop you an email.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!