Trailer Tuesday: The Road



Watching the trailer I'm very keen for this one, but at the same time I'm trying my hardest not to spoil too much about the film for myself.

Based on the Pulitzer Prize winning 2006 novel by Cormac (No Country for Old Men) McCarthy, The Road focuses on a father (Viggo Mortensen) and son (Kodi Smit-McPhee) trying to survive in post-apocalypse America after a cataclysmic event destroys civilisation as we know it. What is left of humanity consists largely of roving bands of cannibals, and refugee-travelers scavenging for food.

So yes, basically The Road is as close to a realistic Fallout movie as we're going to get at the moment... and it seems to have the world flavour I was expecting of Terminator Salvation.


Anyway, if some of my favourite bloggers are to be believed, the film version of The Road, if it is anything like the book, should be incredibly gritty, disturbing and pretty bloody bleak. Not quite the explosive action adventure presented in the trailer. This said, I love films with a dystopian focus, so count me definitely interested in this one.

The Road was actually due to be released towards the end of last year, but test screenings weren't overwhelmingly positive, and Dimension Films decided to give director John Hillcoat more time to work on and tweak the film in post-production.

So now The Road is released in North America on 16 October. No clue when it will make its debut in South Africa, but hopefully it will be before the end of the year. Five or six months though does give me time to get hold of the book.

Comments

MJenks said…
Oh, I do love a good dystopian future story. I'll have to look into a copy of the book.
Pfangirl said…
It wasn't till I wrote this blog entry that I discovered the book had won a relatively recent Pulitzer Prize. That immediately elevated the book's status in my mind as clearly it must have a lot of emotional and thematic depth. Definitely added to my purchase wishlist.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!