Girlz 'N' Games #45: What really happened that Night at the Museum


First things first, I'm no swastika flag-waving skinhead... and I'm actually a big Amy Adams fan. So if this comic offends anyone (especially you Amy, I love you!), I apologise now. Sorry.

You see it's just that my sense of humour veers towards the dark and satirical, and I found that Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian gave me the opportunity to express my cynical, twisted view of things - particularly in regards to the sanitized and superficial family entertainment that Hollywood keeps dishing out.

You see, while watching Night at the Museum's trailer for the third or so time the thought came to me - Why does only the fun, cool stuff from history come alive in these movies? Humanity's past (and present) is full of pain, evil and horror.

Then I remembered that although it's not part of the Smithsonian Institution, the harrowing United States Holocaust Memorial Museum is also housed in Washington DC, right by the 10+ Smithsonian mall museums. And if Ben Stiller's character manages to bring the giant statue inside the Lincoln Memorial to life, then I'm pretty sure he has the potential to reanimate some of history's greatest monsters.

One thought lead to another, and before I knew it Ben Stiller (who is Jewish in real life ironically) was being marched off to Auschwitz, and Amy Adams was taking a bullet to the head.

Like all the movie themed Girlz 'N' Games strips, I had a lot of fun researching and drawing this one (especially the Nazi uniforms). I'm pretty happy with the way the caricatures turned out - Amy Adams more so than Ben Stiller. These comics don't have a long turnaround time, so I refuse to let myself agonize over celebrity likenesses in case it prevents me finishing the strip before my self-imposed deadline. GNG #45's likenesses I think are solid, and with continued practice I'm sure I'll get better at drawing famous faces right first time.

Comments

MJenks said…
I just thought that I'd mention that I was looking for something for the Latin lesson, and this picture popped up.

Well done.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!