The Geek Hierarchy

Now apparently this flow chart is ancient as far web humour is concerned. It's been online since January 2002!. However, I only stumbled across it in the past month or so, so I thought I'd post it up here for those, like me, who have never seen it before.



I'm still wary about asigning myself the geek label. I'd rather be called a nerd any day, or, of course a fangirl.

Looking at the hierarchy, I'm embarrassed to say a number of categories refer to me, although mostly in the upper tiers *phew*. I'm not an anime fan, I don't read sci-fi, and yes, the furries I have encountered (mostly online) have proven to be some of the most fucked up people I know.

Anyway, to be fair I'll be honest and point out exactly what categories apply to me.

Science Fiction / Fantasy Literature Fans
I don't think I've read a Science Fiction book in my life (although I've been meaning to read the original Dune for ages). As for Fantasy, I am very selective. There is so much "I've translated my D&D campaign into a book" shit out there I do my research very thoroughly before heading to the fantasy shelves. Normally I look for the respected classics, although non-traditional fantasy writers like Neil Gaiman seem to be more my thing these days. This said I've read Lord of the Rings (Two Towers is my favourite), love the Harry Potter and Earthsea series, and the works of C.S. Lewis and Roald Dahl were major parts of my literary childhood.

People Who Majored in Folklore and Mythology
OK, I didn't major in the subjects but I minored in Classical Mythology at University, and not many people actually seem to put serious class time into that one. Whenever I had an open course slot I would rush over to the Classics department. I was exceptionally happy in my final year when I could substitute one of my dull English Lit classes for Ancient Greek literature.

Comic Book Fans -> Comic Book Fans Who Read Superhero Comics -> Comic Book Fans Who Only Read Superhero Comics
Hmmm, I don't know if I can quite stretch it to that last category but I mostly stick to reading superhero comics. I don't know what you would classify things like The Goon, Hellboy, Sandman and Hellblazer as? None of the main characters are costume-wearing superheroes but they're all beings with amazing abilities who encounter mysterious, magical and paranormal beasties, and typically defend the "normal" world from them.

Video Gamers -> Roleplaying Gamers
Yeah, yeah, guilty as charged (although I haven't touched a video game all week, I'll have you know). I've dabbled with the idea of Live-Action Roleplaying (LARPing) but I'd like to take it beyond standing around in costume talking like some amateur theatre group. I want actual combat!

Amateur SF/Fantasy Writers
Yeah, I've dabbled, both in contemporary and traditional fantasy. I still have my epic vampire novel all mapped out, and I got a few chapters into a more traditional mage-centric tale when I briefly flirted with National Novel Writing Month in 2007. As for fanfic, I've never written any but I've read some good pieces in the past.

Amateur SF/Fantasy Artists
Again, I've dabbled. Quite considerably actually. For years I wrote and sketched a superhero comic book series. And I've always enjoyed drawing buff men in tights - even if you won't normally get me to admit that. As for sketching breasts properly it's, er, kind of a requirement for female artists. After all, we spend enough time with the Twins.

Science Fiction Televisions Fans
I watched Firefly, Star Trek: The Next Generation (does that make me a Trekkie?) and enjoyed Stargate: SG1 whenever I managed to catch it. Plus, considering the number of friends and favourite bloggers who rave about it, I'm definitely curious about Battlestar Galactica. So I suppose that makes me a Sci-fi TV fan... even if I think I prefer the Sci-fi MOVIE genre more.

Comments

MJenks said…
I'm like you, in the first level of Hell. Isn't that where all the lustful people go, anyway?

There should be a level for people who drop references to classic literature in blog comments...

As for LARP-ing, all I'll say is "Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt..."

Actually, there is a very large group of folks who gather in Pennsylvania here in the states during the summer who will dress up in garb and war with each other. It's not exactly LARP-ing (they consider LARP-ing beneath them), and it's more combat-based (there's rules for death and such). I don't know if the group has an official name.
Pfangirl said…
I just think that LARPing without some kind of physicality is a bit, well, lame. It's like being part of an improv theatrical group who doesn't have the courage to perform in front of an audience. There's nothing at stake to make it exciting.

As for quoting literature, and not pop culture, I think that immediately elevates you above the highest geek tier on that chart ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!