Weekend report-back

Right now I'm still recovering...

On Friday evening I joined my sister (henceforth to be known as Lady Gaga thanks to her new hairstyle!) and her friends for my sister's birthday celebrations. The party started with pre-drinks and snacks at her boyfriend's house before we headed down in taxi convoy to Durban's club-of-the-moment, Clapham Grand.

This was an amusing experience for me, seeing as I haven't actually gone clubbing in a good few years now. I think the last time I was at Burn, my most common hang-out, was in 2007 sometime. Anyway, Clapham is a throwback to the likes of long-gone Tiger Tiger, in that it's very trendy and very commercial, with some really bizarre music choices for a crowd that is in the 24 - 30 age bracket. Wigfield's Saturday Night, Carly Simon's You're so Vain and Queen's Don't Stop Me Now were just some of the tracks played along with the usual current crappy "hits" you can't escape from on 5FM.

This said, Clapham is a lot more spacious than Tiger Tiger, with a much bigger dance floor, several bars and a lot of seats upstairs if case you need to rest your feet for a while (which I certainly did towards the end of the evening). Oh, and there are fire breathers and dancing girls as well for some additional entertainment... if observing the usual mating game isn't amusing enough for you - e.g. group of girls dancing; group of guys start dancing next to them; group of guys keep looking at the girls; group of girls circle in tighter to one another to ignore the guys.

You know how it goes...

Just for the record, I was completely sober the whole of Friday night. Although many of the Facebook pics from the evening show me with 2 drinks in my hands, it was more a case of me being a designated drinks holder (there was a 2-for-the-price-of-1 special) than someone who was knocking them back. Besides it was all ciders, alco-pop and other assorted fizzy drinks, which make me feel bloated and ill long before they get me tipsy.


This said, having a very late evening and then waking early because of the heat the next morning did a lot of damage. I was pretty zonked for most of Saturday, when I really couldn't afford to be. In the mid-morning I had no-gi Jiu-Jitsu class, as well as assisting with the Kids' Class again. And in the afternoon the bf and I had our rescheduled Dungeons & Dragons session. I've had a really shitty run this last week in at least 2 important areas of my life, and Saturday made it No. 3.

My beloved Paladin, the charismatic, overly trusting, and curiously asexual Herkon, who I've been playing with since early 2007, got chopped in half by a scythe-wielding demon. This was no real fault of mine however. The demon critted, doing in one turn more damage than my character even had hit points. Herkon just had no chance to heal himself. So now my party members are going to have to somehow resurrect me. This late in the campaign I don't really feel like creating a new character from scratch... especially since I enjoy playing the greatsword-swinging damage dealer of the party so much. Next campaign though (when we transition to Fourth Edition rules) I think I'd like to go Warlock or Druid.

From D&D we rushed off to get ready for a cocktail-engagement party. Again, there are several photos of me on Facebook drinks in hand... except this time I actually was drunk. Very. I blame the 6 or so glasses of red wine I had. This said, despite the fact that I looked like something out of Twilight with my wine-stained lips (so did the groom-to-be), I think I was quite well-behaved at the party.

The problems only started once I had to stand up and trek down to the car. It was at this point that I started talking absolute shit and blanking out. I don't even remember the bf helping me brush my teeth and get ready for bed, but apparently I called him "Mr Biceps" and would not shut up about how "It feels like I'm in a First Person Shooter."


So yes, Saturday evening was the drunkest I have ever been in my life. I was nauseous when I fell asleep sitting up (to combat the room spinning) but by the time I woke up on Sunday morning the only hangover effects I still had were some dizziness, trembling and a complete inability to concentrate. A nice fried-up Wimpy breakfast restored me to normality though, and we spent a few hours at the Pav doing shopping and shopping research - I was given vouchers for my birthday in January to spend on a new suitcase and/or new cellphone.

My cellphone research revealed that Game is the cheapest for pay-as-you phone sets, but the second you put in a sim card from another network (they only sell for Vodacom and Cell C), your warranty is void. The cellphone section at Woolworths however has the phone I currently have my heart set on - the Nokia 5220 XpressMusic - for MTN so I think I'll probably end up going with them.

Otherwise the rest of Sunday was spent trying to sleep, viewing episodes of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, as well as watching Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery for something like the 20th time. I'm still firmly of the opinion that the first Austin Powers is the best - even if there is no Mini-Me.

Anyway, I do regret missing out on the awesome sunny weather in Durban this weekend. Right now I'm staring out the window at the glorious sunshine and hoping we get a repeat of it this coming weekend. Until then, I seriously hope I have enough free time to get some creative activities done before Saturday - namely the Valentine's Day issue of the Girlz 'N' Games web comic and the gift I have planned for the bf.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like an awesome weekend out! I myself don't know when last I've been out to a club - feels like ages ago now! Must be getting old! ;)
MJenks said…
I'm sorry, but I'm laughing so hard at "it feels like I'm in a first person shooter" that tears are coming to my eyes.
Pfangirl said…
I definitely felt my age on Friday, Craig... not so much in terms of the crowd there, but after a while my feet were absolutely killing me and I had to retreat into a corner to recover.

Mjenks, everyone was laughing at my First Person Shooter comments. Especially after I mentioned it for something like the 5th time.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!