Today South Africa...

In terms of movie releases it's unfortunately another dud week in South Africa. Next week we have Mamma Mia! to look forward to (if you're into disco pop musicals, that is), but until then all we have are some new "meh" releases, and the same long-running blockbusters most of us have seen weeks and months ago.


Anyway, there's not much new to say about anything.

In terms of film, I'm still peeved that I now have to wait till July next year for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, especially since, next to the latest James Bond, Quantum of Solace, it's really the only other 2008 blockbuster I was really excited about. Damn after-effects of the writer's strike...

Anyway, here's a new movie poster that really tickled my fancy (love that tagline!):


Click here for the other new W. posters.

Oh, wait, stop the press! The cinematic trailer for World of WarCraft's second expansion Wrath of the Lich King is now available. And it's sending me giddy with anticipation. Now that I've just turned Level 70, the race is on to get me some good epic gear before the expansion hits later this year. Ah, for a whole new icy continent to explore...


-----------------------------------------------

On the personal front, I have a sore throat, which I'm hoping will not develop into the vicious head cold that is spreading around our office (damn people who insist on coming to work sick!). At least if I get it now it should be over by the time I head overseas on holiday in a few week's time.

Speaking of which, at the moment we're panicking a bit about the bf's passport. He applied for a new one over 2 months ago, and we're still waiting to receive it. You see, Home Affairs has contradictory information about where in the process this passport is - Pretoria says its still being printed; Durban says it's been dispatched to a collection office somewhere in the country(!). Yay for South African government inefficiency!

The bottom line is that the bf has until the 9th of September to receive his passport. This is the cut-off date for him to apply for a European Schengen visa, which normally takes 10 working days to process. And for those of you who don't know, you can't enter the United Kingdom on a temporary SA passport because they've been identified as a security threat - seeing as how international terrorists use them to get around. Yay for South African government corruption!

If there is no new passport by the 9th of September, there's a good chance the bf will have to cancel his trip, and I'll be heading on holiday with guy friends only.

As a side note, this Sunday is my 5 year anniversary. I'm currently wondering if we're actually going to do anything special for this half decade milestone. Plans to just get away for a couple's weekend were scuppered when a family get-together came up (yet again).

I think we're going to the Tri-Nations rugby match between South Africa and Australia on Saturday, and although I've never actually been to an international rugby match before (so that will be cool), it's not, well, my ideal anniversary activity... even if it does make sense given we went to a rugby match together 5 years ago.

I guess I was looking forward to something special, a surprise, which at this point - given that the bf's mind is elsewhere - I don't think I'm going to get.

Girls and their bloody impossible-to-please expectations....

Comments

MJenks said…
I'll add South Africa to my list of nations that likes rugby.

The Chinese guy in my lab claims that rugby isn't popular enough world-wide to be ever considered an Olympic event. It's one of his lame Chinese-based apologies for ping pong being an Olympic event.
Pfangirl said…
I'd say South Africa does more than "like" rugby. We're a nation who "loves" it, having won the World Cup twice... although our current Springbok performance would make you doubt that fact. Ho hum.

I don't know whether full-on contact rugby would ever make it as an Olympic sport, but seven-a-side rugby is much more accessible and has a massive international following, especially in the Far East. One of the major events on the rugby calendar is the Hong Kong Sevens tournament.

Anyway, rugby sevens could potentially make the Olympic event shortlist easily. The same goes for 20 over cricket.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!