Trailer Tuesday: The X-Files - I Want To Believe



Sex & The City isn't the only long gone TV series making the leap to the big screen in the coming months. Apart from Get Smart and Speed Racer, we also can expect a second X-Files movie, subtitled I Want to Believe.

The question is... does anyone, apart from a hardcore collective of fans, really still care? The mad frenzy around the TV show, which debuted in 1993 and ran until 2002, has long since evaporated. It's also been 10 years since the first X-Files film was released to capitalise on the massive 90s pop culture phenomenon.

Jeremy of Popped Culture has a very different take on the muted anticipation for the film, but I have yet to be caught up in any excitement, or even interest. And I used to be a big X-Files fan... well, during the show's first 4 seasons anyway. I just can't seem to fire up any nostalgia towards the series.


The plot for I Want to Believe, which is written and directed by the show's creator, Chris Carter, is currently top secret. Here's all that the press release reveals:

In grand "X-Files" manner, the as yet untitled film's storyline is being kept under wraps, known only to top studio brass and the film's principals. This much can be revealed: The supernatural thriller is a stand-alone story in the tradition of some of the show's most acclaimed and beloved episodes, and takes the always-complicated relationship between Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) in unexpected directions. Mulder continues his unshakable quest for the truth, and Scully, the passionate, ferociously intelligent physician, remains inextricably tied to Mulder's pursuits.

It's what I expect of an X-Files movie. Nothing more, nothing less. I just wonder how extraterrestrial the mystery at the film's core is going to be, or whether the filmmakers are going to surprise us completely and keep the weirdness entirely Earth-bound.

The X-Files: I Want to Believe opens in the US on 25 July, and in South Africa on 1 August. The Truth is Out There!

Comments

poppedculture said…
I think it may end up being a stand-alone episode, not really dealing with the mythology story line at all. I figure I'll wait until the DVD - it's where it work best anyway.
Pfangirl said…
I may do exactly the same... unless there really are no other better cinema choices at the film's time of release.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!