My favourite time of year

Ah, I love this time of year... glorious sunny, humidity-free days (even if you only get to gaze at them out the office window), cold evenings perfect for snuggling under the duvet... and a local movie release schedule that closely mirrors the US one.

For example, this weekend's 2 major film releases are also the 2 high profile ones in North America.

1) The Incredible Hulk, which apparently is a lot more exhilarating than the vanilla first trailer suggested - and which I'm hoping to catch sometime this weekend.

By the way, Iron Man's Tony Stark makes a cameo appearance as well in the movie - it's all part of Marvel's scheme to set up their shared character universe in cinematic form, in preparation for the Avengers film in 2011.


2) The Happening, the latest psychological thriller from M. Night Shyamalan... which may or may not have something to do with a mysterious gas that triggers mass suicides.

You either love or hate Shyamalan's films - with viewer enjoyment hinging very much on the ability to drop your resistance to all the on-screen silliness and surrender to a purely emotional experience. Personally I loved the Sixth Sense, thoroughly enjoyed Signs and Unbreakable, and thought The Village and Lady in the Water were both horribly mediocre, ego-stroking exercises.

So far, The Happening is not receiving critics' love. At all!


Anyway, Monday is a public holiday in South Africa, so I'll be taking a day's break from blogging. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Comments

Dante said…
I am going on Sunday to watch Hulk. Can't believe it is here already. And next month, Dark Knight! Can you believe it?!
MJenks said…
Like you, I enjoyed Unbreakable and Signs. I got Sixth Sense right away, so that sort of ruined the rest of the movie for me.

I haven't seen the Village (though the Mrs. liked it) and Lady in the Water. I don't know about The Happening. I've heard things. This might be another forgettable movie.
Pfangirl said…
I caught The Incredible Hulk yesterday (Sunday) and am going to catch The Happening this evening.

Movies, movies, movies - it's awesome this time of year!

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!