Today, South Africa!


Everybody is gonna be kung fu fighting... The big movie release of the weekend is Dreamworks' latest animated film, Kung Fu Panda. Just in time for South African school holidays!

And apparently it's actually a pretty awesome little movie, much better than some of Dreamworks other more recent efforts (*cough* Madagascar, Shrek 3). Kung Fu Panda is currently sitting on 88% on Rotten Tomatoes and the general consensus seems to be that while the film is pretty derivative, storywise, it's a lot of fun, the action sequences are cleverly choreographed and exciting, and the overall package is a much more satisfying homage to martial arts movies than Jackie Chan and Jet Li's Forbidden Kingdom.

I'm hoping that Kung Fu Panda is Dreamworks' best animated film since Over the Hedge.

--------------


On a totally unrelated note, fuck you Debonairs Pizza! Not only are your online menus and prices hopelessly out of date, giving buyers a price shock when they order your overpriced product over the phone, but your Sarnia branch is run by rejects from a remedial school.

Having placed my order over the phone, and explained that I'm going to pick it up from the store instead of waiting for delivery, I pitch up at the franchise and discover my pizzas aren't there. Apparently they've been accidentally dispatched with a delivery man. "Don't you want to head home and wait for delivery?" "No, I'm going somewhere. That's why I came in to pick up my order." "OK, can I make you another pizza?" So I sit there for 20 minutes... waiting, making me even later for the event I had to get to.

As an added bonus it turns out that the delivery man never did pitch at my house - the "It was dispatched" excuse was just that; a big fat lie.

Oh, and while I was experiencing all this, the only other customer in the store, a woman, was waiting for a replacement pizza (her initial order had been lost too). When this second pizza was handed to her, there was a completely black heat detection dot on the box. For those of you who don't know, this means the pizza is cold... and according to the Debonairs promise, it should be free.

The store manager wouldn't budge about giving the woman the pizza for free or even reheating it. He wouldn't even agree that the pizza was cold. His exact words were, "It's supposed to be like that".

Yeah, right.

The only thing he would do is make her yet another pizza from scratch. Her response: "Forget it. I'll heat it up myself. My family has been waiting for me long enough. I'm never coming back here again."

I agree completely.

Congratulations, Debonairs, you bunch of scaly con artists. You've just lost my business forever.

Comments

MJenks said…
My kids STILL don't want to see Kung Fu Panda. I don't know why. However, they're geeked for Wall-E.

Ugh.

I guess one can never trust in the judgment of 3- and 6-year olds. *sigh*
Dante said…
Lol @ mjenks.

I don't eat debonairs simply because Romans is better and cheaper. But how the hell do you give someone in store a cold pizza? That should be impossible?

I have seen Kung Fu Panda and it is full of awesomeness. No seriously, they use that word a lot. It was great fun to watch.

@ Mjenks again, how can they be excited about wall-e? I have honestly just seen the little teaser trailer and I don't get what it is about?
Pfangirl said…
I'm actually super excited for Wall-E. Word is it's a masterpiece... and the fact that the hero is virtually mute is a much welcome throwback to the old classic cartoons where humour and story was conveyed "physically" instead of relying on pop culture jokes and celebrity voice casts.

The success of older animation really depends on the animators' skill with facial expressions, movement etc.

Oh, and mjenks Debonairs is one of our pizza fast food chains, like Dominos. Dante, Romans rocks, although I'm also a big fan of Scooters - mmm, honey mustard chicken.
MJenks said…
They're excited about Wall-E because he's cute, I guess.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!