Trailer Tuesday: Kung Fu Panda



Kung Fu Panda is the latest animated film from Dreamworks Studios, the team behind the fantastic Shrek, Over the Hedge and Antz, and the decidedly less fantastic Madagascar, Bee Movie and A Shark's Tale.

Dreamworks animation can be hit and miss: although visually superb, the films usually sacrifice heart and story strength (both specialities of rival Pixar) in favour of a gimmicky all-star voice cast (usually headed by a popular, "hip" comedian), manic action and numerous pop culture references.


Kung Fu Panda has the celebrity voice cast at least: Jack Black as panda Po, Dustin Hoffman as trainer Shifu, Jackie Chan as Master Monkey, Lucy Lui as Master Viper, Angelina Jolie as Master Tigress, Seth Rogan as Master Mantis and David Cross as Master Crane.

However, early buzz about the film has been very good, comparing it to The Incredibles and remarking that it sticks closely to kung fu movie conventions.

I can't say I was overwhelmed by the trailer posted above, but I loved the much shorter, tighter teaser trailer, which highlights the different creatures' fighting styles. That's certainly piqued my interest in Kung Fu Panda.

The movie's plot is as follows:

Jack Black heads the voice cast as Po the Panda, the laziest of all the animals in the Valley of Peace. With powerful enemies at the gates, all hope has been pinned on an ancient prophesy that a hero will rise to save the day. But among all the martial arts masters who come forward, none has shown the mark of The Chosen One ... until now. When Po unwittingly shows up in the midst of the competition, the masters are shocked to see that this unmotivated panda bears the mark. Now it is up to them to turn this gentle giant into a kung fu fighter before it's too late.


Kung Fu Panda is set for release on 6 June in the States. It opens in South Africa later that same month, on 27 June.

-------

Kung Fu Panda was chosen for this week's trailer because I kind of have martial arts on my brain at the moment. Yesterday in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class it was announced that a group of us are being tested for our blue belts on Monday... by the genuine black belt from Brazil, who has been a guest in classes for the past 3 weeks.

There are a list of techniques that you should be able to perform perfectly to make the progression from white to blue belt. So far from what we revised last night, a good many of them involve stand-up (on your feet) techniques, which I suck at...

My assorted hip throws are good, but when it comes to blocking punches and kicks, and perfoming take downs (essentially tackles), as a girl you are at a severe disadvantage. At no time growing up do you ever participate in contact sports, or learn how to do simple things like adopt a stance ready to punch. It just doesn't happen. Netball, hockey and athletics don't prepare you for anything like that, and as a result, when you're called on to do it, it feels totally unnatural.

I'm nervous as it is... and then I'm peeved about the lack of support I seem to be getting from people close to me. From comments like "Well, if they think you're ready to be tested, then you are" to "If you fail, tough shit, that's life. Just try again later" to "If you fail you'll be in a foul mood so don't expect me to talk to you next week", I'm not exactly feeling the love...

This is a big thing for me, but no one seems to grasp the pressure I have put myself under. I'd feel humiliated if I was the only person not to get my belt - the only girl in the class, taking the test along with guys who have been practicing BJJ for a shorter time period than my 2 years of twice weekly training.

So yeah, I'm not sleeping well at all...

Comments

Randilin said…
It is a really fun movie I got to attend the primier last saturday. I'll be posting a review of the movie on my own blog shortly

Randilin

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!