Weekend Round-up

OK, one of three boyfriend-less weekends down...

Friday evening was spent playing our rescheduled weekly Dungeons & Dragons campaign. Once again, it was a combat-free session, as we gathered information and boarded a ship for the southern Arab-style empire. I wonder how a overly pious paladin will cope in a nation of infidels.

Saturday was spent getting some freelance writing work done. This required going to see the early morning screening of Cloverfield. Of course I'll be posting up my full review here in the next few days, but I'll say now that I was actually very impressed by the film. After 1998's Godzilla I dismissed the "giant monster" movie genre as ridiculous cheese. Cloverfield's "Blair Witch" approach, however - using handheld camera footage and a cast of unknowns - is breath of fresh air. It injects much-needed realism into the film and although I didn't care for the characters as much as I think we're supposed to, the film is still incredibly intense. Just don't go expecting Independence Day. Cloverfield is chiefly survival-horror, and its ending seemed to disappoint a lot of people in the cinema.


After the movie I checked out the nonexistent BT Games sale and picked up some cheap DVDs at Look & Listen for my collection: Stardust and the Special Edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Back home it was back to work, completing my assigned reviews.

My big accomplishment of Sunday was getting my solo-play World of WarCraft character to Level 50. In the process of grinding through 2 levels, Euridycce, the Undead warlock developed a new look. So if you thought her Liewe Heksie hat was laughable before, then check out her new troll mask. Talk about an overbite...

From this:

To this:

And in case you were wondering who or what that cloven-hooved, perky breasted creature behind me is, that's my Succubus minion.

Otherwise I spent the day chatting to a very hung-over Paul on Skype, catching some sun, reading Gates of Fire (I can't recommend Steven Pressfield's novel enough for fans of 300) and watching the overly quirky Failure to Launch on Sunday evening. Great concept but totally squandered in favour of nonsensical animal attacks and Sarah Jessica Parker's annoying inability to talk without waving about her hands. Argh!

Comments

Dante said…
Do you actually see the monster? So far it feels that the monster is just implied instead of actually seeing a towering destructor. And i am not going to see a monster that is only implied.

As for failure to launch its a romcom with more com than rom. I loved it. Its zany and doesn't take itself to series. Won't buy the dvd but it kept me entertained for an hour and a half.

Oh and playing DnD on a friday night. If I was a sociallite ass I would make somekind of joke about not having a life. But what people don't realize is that Playing DND rather than getting shitfaced still means you have a life. It is actually a very social interaction between people and a lot more personal level than going to a bar and speaking to strangers.

Man maybe I should post these things on my blog. :p
Pfangirl said…
Damn, I had a whole long response typed out and I lost it :(

Look, you may be disappointed in Cloverfield, Dante, as you do generally only see the monster in short glimpses... except for one scene where you get a pretty good look at its head. The film's release on DVD should solve that problem though as you'll be able to slow and pause the film to your heart's content.

As for tabletop D&D, I do believe it's a very social activity. The people you play with may not be the most socially integrated of individuals sometimes but D&D still involves hanging out with friends in the flesh, chatting, having a good time... It's no different from having friends over for a braai (except that it involves more dice-throwing:)).

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!