Indy and Iron Man

I'm kind of torn about following the production of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. On the one hand I'm feeling the usual compulsion to dig deeper. On the other hand I really don't want to spoil the film for myself. So I've been restricting myself to looking at movie stills and staying away from assorted plot rumours. Sometimes, though, the one leads naturally to the other.

Here's one of the new pics:


Movieweb also uploaded the first pic of the film's title treasure: the Crystal Skulls. Unfortunately, the site was asked by Paramount to remove the grinning alien-esque image a short while later. You can, however, still receive an idea of what it looks like here.

I'm not quite sure what I think of replacing Indiana Jones' trademark religious mysticism with a more sci-fi angle, but director Steven Spielberg is an accomplished dabbler in big screen alien encounters, so I have faith that Indy's discoveries will retain their eerie yet "magical" quality.

As for Iron Man, probably one of the 2 most highly anticipated superhero films of 2008 (The Dark Knight being the other one) I admit my excitement has kind of lulled lately. I've been checking out assorted pics online, but after a while static imagery just doesn't generate the same level of anticipation.

However, this week saw the online debut of the Iron Man commercial screened during the American Superbowl. It's 30 seconds of taunt action and awesomeness. It's also proof that these kinds of movies really had to wait for the 21st Century to receive the flawless special effects treatment they demand.


For a man in a big metal suit, Iron Man/Tony Stark doesn't look clunky or cheesy at all. If this film had been made in the early 1990s (the last cinematic superhero peak), well, I imagine that wouldn't have been the case at all.

So all hail intelligent costume design! All hail CGI! Iron Man is released in North America in early May.


How curious that the 2 superhero movie biggies of 2008 aren't centred on people with mysterious "enhanced abilities". Rather they're about ordinary human beings who push technology and their bodies to the limit to realise their uncompromising visions.

Comments

Dante said…
YAY Indy is back. Can't wait.

Oh and have you seen the Iron Man Animated movie? It is what cause me to get all excited about this movie. That and the flying tank that is Iron Man. Which is weird cause I was never a fan of Iron Man until recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invincible_Iron_Man

You should try and get your hands on it. Was really good.
Pfangirl said…
I should really check that one out. Thanks for the heads up, Dante.

Yeah, I was never a fan of Iron man either, especially after the really lame animated series of about 10 years back. The movie however looks to inject the coolness factor back into the character.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!