That Noughties Show

Although it’s lost its unique 70’s focus, I’ve been watching That 70’s Show for several years now, and I’ve always liked the way that the show allows its characters to develop, changing relationships, jobs etc.

Monday was interesting because Red and Kitty Foreman confronted their son Eric, who is on a self-initiated ‘gap year’ about his sudden lack of drive and purpose. Eric’s argument was that he is using the year to find out who he is and what he wants to do as opposed to what others expect of him.

I wouldn’t say I feel the exact same way- I’m really grateful that my parents were never the type to force me into a career path that I hated. That still unfortunately happens to so many people. But the question ‘What are you going to do next year?’ fills me with dread. If we’re talking about a search for direction, at the moment I feel like a compass in a tub of magnets. I know what I can do, and I could potentially go in a number of directions, but there’s no overwhelming passion pushing me down one specific path; poking me into a position where I’m willing to take risks.

I think I have a deep-seated fear of letting people, especially myself, down.

Comments

Unknown said…
Noelle, only you can pick your future. You're lucky in the sense that you've had a really good education and you do have options.

Perhaps if one isn't jumping out and grabbing you, then look at something that you would like to do and move it in a direction that you'd prefer. I know this sounds daft, but you never know.

Start small, and go from there. Great people weren't made in a day. Keep plodding girl, eventually it will get easier and you'll find your dream job.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!