Weekend Pop Culture consumption

For once, Film Viewing didn't play too large a part in my weekend. Rather, I seemed to spend a lot of time being all domesticated-like, giving Nigella a run for her money, and getting in touch with my Greek heritage by making moussaka on Friday night and souvlaki and stuffed tomatoes for Sunday lunch, catering for 6 people. Phew.

While searching around for a good marinade for the souvlaki (AKA kebabs), I happened to look inside a local bestselling cookbook that dates all the way back to the 1980s, and is still widely available thanks to regular reprints. Thing is, Best South African Braai Recipes has never been updated, and the result is a few fantastic pics, like this one below, which perfectly capture a long gone era. I thought it was too classic a depiction of 80s white Afrikaans South Africa not to share. It made me smile nostalgically at least...


Books and comics
Anyway, Saturday proved to be my most productive day as I finished drawing and inking the next Girlz 'N' Games web comic, due for online debut later this week.

I also started reading Dan Brown's latest, The Lost Symbol, and 60 pages in it's more of the same if you're at all familiar with Brown's other 4 novels. So yes, there's violence, clues, a physically imposing villain with old world values, and intellectual hero Robert Langdon continually lecturing us, often literally, about everything from neckties to freemasonry. I iz feeling so much of smartness now...

Gaming
For the second Saturday evening in a row we made an unholy racket at a friend's place, playing through Guitar Hero 5's career mode - with me behind the mic, the bf on drums and our friend playing guitar. As it currently stands we have 1 more venue out of 13 to unlock, which I don't think is bad going for just 2 evenings of play.

In terms of Saturday's notable achievements, we all did exceptionally well performing Nirvana's Lithium and Smells Like Teen Spirit. They were certainly my best vocal performances, so evidently I've found my new career - suicidal grunge rock singer!


I also tried out drums again, coming to the conclusion that it demands levels of coordination that I just don't seem to have. I think if I were to put in hours of practice I would be OK, but it's highly unlikely I'll ever advance from Easy difficulty to Medium. Speaking of difficulty levels, I did finally graduate to Medium on the guitar, accepting the new challenge as I was finding Easy just that - too easy.

Television
In terms of TV viewing, or, rather, TV-on-DVD-box-set viewing, hallelujah, I finally found something Battlestar Galatica that the bf likes! And it turned out to be the Razor feature length made-for-TV movie that kicked off Season 4. I was expecting derogatory comments throughout the film, but there were none. Although that probably had something to do with the near complete absence of Baltar, and Starbuck mostly reigning in her cocky-cool act.


Finally, we've been revisiting House Season 1, and it's been very interesting to chart the evolution of this hit medical mystery drama. The dramatic stakes have certainly been upped in later seasons, with the issue of pain and depression becoming far more central to the show. Meanwhile, as Gregory House's addiction to painkillers has become worse, so too has his disparaging attitude. The House of Season 1, though snarky, is a nice guy by comparison.

And that was my weekend. I hope yours was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!