Girlz 'N' Games comic #55: The WOWderful women of WarCraft


Yay for Blizzard! If they hadn't insisted that all players merge their existing World of WarCraft account with a new Battle.net account by mid November - to enable future cross-faction, cross-server and cross-game chat with friends - this comic probably wouldn't have happened.

You see in November last year, to celebrate the 4th birthday of the super smash hit MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), Blizzard gifted all World of WarCraft (WOW) players with a special in-game pet - an adorable little polar bear cub.

And I admit that the Baby Blizzard Bear's high levels of cuteness tugged at my heartstrings... those same heartstrings that tighten up whenever I have to kill baby animals or their parents in the game.

So the thought came to me that the players who kept summoning their Baby Blizzard Bear to watch his endearing antics MUST be female in real life. This in turn meant that Blizzard had given WOW players a further birthday gift in addition to the pet - a surefire way to identify the real girls behind the WOW avatars! Because, let's face it, most of those sultry long-legged Night Elves are actually guys... who either like the attention from other players, or, more likely, would rather stare at a tight female ass, as opposed to a male one, while they run around Azeroth for hours.

As a sidenote, despite having girlfriends who have been hit on in-game while playing female characters in WOW, I never have. Then again, with the exception of the high born Blood Elves, the women of the Horde faction aren't exactly known for their babeliciousness. My orc female is almost completely bald, with tree trunks for legs, and my undead warlock is missing her cheeks thanks to the normal processes of death and decay.


Anyway, I intended on drawing a comic about this specific gender issue in late 2008, but ended up procrastinating over the challenge of sketching and colouring World of WarCraft's notoriously complicated, and multi-layered, outfits for so long that the comic inevitably lost its relevancy.

The comic concept seemed destined for the Wasted Ideas folder when suddenly Blizzard dished out another cute pet. Right now, when you convert your WarCraft account to a Battle.net one, you receive cutesy baby penguin Mr Chilly in your in-game mail.

So yes, the comic received a second chance at life. And I'm glad because I'm actually extremely proud of this one. I would even seriously consider entering it into the World of WarCraft comic contest if I wasn't resident in a territory excluded from the competition...

-------------------

As usual, if you like my latest Girlz 'N' Games comic, please forward it on to your like-minded friends. You can also show your support by joining the Girlz 'N' Games Facebook fan group, which is open to all. The big advantage of joining is that you'll immediately receive an email notification every time a new comic is uploaded.

If this doesn't suit you, you can also follow me on Twitter - I tend to tweet when a comic is in production, as well as provide a heads up when it's about to debut online.

Comments

Hahaha! That's a classic one!
That reminds that I have to switch to Battle.net. My friends have persuaded me to start playing WoW again after four years. One of my hobbies in the game (yeah a hobby within a hobby) was to collect pets. I had various rare pets, so I'm definitely going to switch soon to grab this cute penguin. :D
Pfangirl said…
I must say Niel, when I started playing WOW, I was always indifferent to in-game "flavour" like non-combat pets.

Lately though I've developed something of an obsession with them. I was ecstatic when I won the little Halloween pumpkin head thing, the Sinister Squashling. Both cute and freaky!

Oh, and glad to hear you enjoyed the comic:)

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!