Weekend report back

I can't say I had one of the busiest weekends. In fact it was pretty lethargic, as I was feeling largely washed out and mildly depressed for a good portion of it. After staring intensely at a computer screen and grey wall all of Friday the last thing I wanted was to pass my evening doing more of the same. So we watched (and dozed through) some DVDs - Bad Boys, for the hundredth time, and Freakazoid Season 1 (which we've found can be digested when sober as long as you only consume a single manic 30 minute episode at a sitting).


Saturday was more productive although the weather didn't really play fair. After a week of illness and taking it easy I started the day with a solid 30 minute session of skipping (which my calves are still moaning about). After that we headed to the Pav to run a few errands (including swapping my duplicate copy of The Dark Knight DVD for Iron Man) and then in the afternoon we headed to the beach in the drizzle. The bf and his cousin went bodyboarding; I don't have a board so I floated around on the waves for a bit seeing it was much warmer in the water than out.

In the evening we cooked up a seafood dinner - comprising cajun calamari, dorado steaks and tomatoes stuffed with savoury rice. As we were finishing up the preparation though a massive thunderstorm hit, which managed to kill the electricity. Fortunately we had some gas canisters on hand to finish off the frying and warm up the meal. As we were finishing eating, the lights came back on, which was a good thing seeing as the bf had a bunch of (much-hated) family PC repairs to do.

Seeing as that also involved some large downloads, that ruled out online gaming for me, so I watched Robert De Niro in drag and Michelle Pfeiffer in old lady latex in Stardust and then made some excellent progress on the first Penny Arcade comic collection: Attack of the Bacon Robots. Reading the book (which collects the PA web comics from 1998 to the end of 2000) you realise just how quickly the Game industry evolves... and discards its failures.

I consider myself reasonably well informed but there are games, and even console systems, that Gabe and Tycho mention that I didn't even know existed! Clearly they were hurriedly buried, probably still half-alive, in the great Gaming cemetery, without a single gamer who cared enough to mourn their passing.

Anyway, speaking of gaming, my World of WarCraft warlock hit the Level 80 cap on an otherwise uneventful Sunday (apart from baking some muffins and helping the bf's cousin move his delicious comic book collection as he prepares to emigrate).

I think the fact that I managed to complete a full level in a single day - without sitting hunched over a keyboard for hours at a time - is proof that leveling is much faster in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion than The Burning Crusade. Now to decide what purple items I should be working towards, and what achievements I should look at getting...


World of WarCraft - it's not a game; it's a lifestyle.

Comments

MJenks said…
At our company Christmas party, there is a room where they show movies for the kids. They use a DivX player, and every time I giggle just a little, wondering which member of accounting Div will go home with for a drunken toss.

I really liked Stardust. It's one of those movies I could probably watch several times without getting sick of.

I used to watch Freakazoid in high school when I would come home from basketball practice and not want anything challenging to think about. I just sort of laid there like a big, sweaty slug and soaked it all in.
Pfangirl said…
Mjenks, I was always familiar with the DivX compression format, but I had no idea it was also an actual player until I came across the drunken Div in PA.

As for Stardust, it does seem to be an acquired taste. I enjoyed it for all its flaws. I watched it at one point with non-fantasy lovers and they just couldn't get past the quirkiness.

Looking back at Freakazoid now, it really is very hit and miss in terms of the jokes.,. but that's because it goes way out in terms of absurdist humour. Pinky and the Brain, and Animaniacs were far more conventional in that regard.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!